Need help with Yanagiba or Sujihiki, and Length

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lazy112

Reaction score
Hi Guys~~

Need help with choosing a sushi knife.

I mainly use it to cut salmon into pieces, have been using a Ran 270 Sujihiki (stainless) for 4 years, and loved it, but loosed it recently. I tried to cut the salmon using my 240 gyuto, and was painful....So I think should get another Sujihiki or go for a Yanagiba. (love the look of Yanagiba, so much cooler than Sujihiki)

1. I have been using wet stone to sharpen my double bevel gyutos and Sujihiki, seem alright. Will it be hard to learn to sharpen a single bevel yanagiba?

2. Is there a big difference when using single bevel slicing knife? Because I have tried my friend's sinle bevel gyuto, dosn't feel right, it leans to one side when I cut. Not like double bevel knives are balanced in the middle. But was thinking the slicing knife may not have same problem as cutting knife. Any thoughts?

3. I have heared the Yanagiba wooden handled need to be replaced after certain time. Any idea when do I need to replace the handle, giving use the knife once a week?

4. The length. I have been using the 270 Sujihiki for a couple years, feels all good, but think of getting a 300. No particual reason, just think the 300 looks better, but does it make it a lot harder to use? Never get hand on knives longer than 270.

cheers

just found need to follow this format below:

Australia

KNIFE TYPE
What type of knife are you interested in (e.g., chef’s knife, slicer, boning knife, utility knife, bread knife, paring knife, cleaver)?
Slicer

Are you right or left handed?
Right

Are you interested in a Western handle (e.g., classic Wusthof handle) or Japanese handle?
Thinking of Japanese handle, but bot decided yet

What length of knife (blade) are you interested in (in inches or millimeters)?
270mm or 300mm

Do you require a stainless knife? (Yes or no)
No

What is your absolute maximum budget for your knife?

KNIFE USE
Do you primarily intend to use this knife at home or a professional environment?
professional

What are the main tasks you primarily intend to use the knife for (e.g., slicing vegetables, chopping vegetables, mincing vegetables, slicing meats, cutting down poultry, breaking poultry bones, filleting fish, trimming meats, etc.)? (Please identify as many tasks as you would like.)
Slicing Salmon

What knife, if any, are you replacing?
Ran 270mm Sujihiki stainless

Do you have a particular grip that you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for the common types of grips.)
use pinch grip on gyuto, but mostly point grip when slicing.

What cutting motions do you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for types of cutting motions and identify the two or three most common cutting motions, in order of most used to least used.)
I'm used to rock, push cutting and slicing when necessary.

What improvements do you want from your current knife? If you are not replacing a knife, please identify as many characteristics identified below in parentheses that you would like this knife to have.)
sharpness, edge retaintion, easy to sharp, not too hard to maintain, good looking (not Damascus)

Better aesthetics (e.g., a certain type of finish; layered/Damascus or other pattern of steel; different handle color/pattern/shape/wood; better scratch resistance; better stain resistance)?

Comfort (e.g., lighter/heavier knife; better handle material; better handle shape; rounded spine/choil of the knife; improved balance)?

Ease of Use (e.g., ability to use the knife right out of the box; smoother rock chopping, push cutting, or slicing motion; less wedging; better food release; less reactivity with food; easier to sharpen)?

Edge Retention (i.e., length of time you want the edge to last without sharpening)?

KNIFE MAINTENANCE
Do you use a bamboo, wood, rubber, or synthetic cutting board? (Yes or no.)
Yes,synthetic

Do you sharpen your own knives? (Yes or no.)
Yes

If not, are you interested in learning how to sharpen your knives? (Yes or no.)

Are you interested in purchasing sharpening products for your knives? (Yes or no.)
Yes, already got 1000/4000 wet stone.

I may have something you might be interested in, get a few more post and pm me.

Correct me if I am wrong.

From my knowledge, yanagiba is an excellent knife to slicing protein (nigiri slice or sashimi). That's why most sushi chef is using yanagiba for their main knife.
1. No, sharpening a single bevel knife is a little different with double bevel. You don't have to adjust the angle of the bevel but you have to pay attention on the tip and and of the knife. Jon has a really good tutorial video that might help. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kA0vdeDDSJI
2. Using a single bevel like yanagiba has some learning curve to it, when u get a hold to it, you will like it!!
3. If you buy a decent knife, it will last for a while. When you get bored with the handle is a different story, but you can always sent it to Stefan to get it pimp.
4. I am 5'8" and I am using 270mm yanagiba. I think I can manage 300mm knife, I just prefer not too. 3 cm extra effort every time I have to slice some fish considering using your whole blade from the end to the tip when slicing.

I hope this make sense (considering my English)

For slicing salmon, either one would do. Jimbob from Melbourne has a Yoshikane SLD 270mm that should fit your need http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/s...e-SLD-Damascus-270-Suji-amp-Itinomonn-Cleaver.
attachment.php

It is a damascus, though, and when I had mind, it was a touch longer than 270 tip to heel.

On the other hand, if you are interested in a cool looking yanagiba, I have a Gesshin Hide kensaki yanagiba 300mm with mirror finish.
20140302_141801.jpg

PM me if interest.

Thanks Schanop, the thing I don't like Damascus is my old Suji's Damascus pattern fade away after about 2-3 years, and I looked up online, turns out real Damascus was long gone in the history, and the Damascus we can buy these days are just treated stainless steel, just for decoration. Personally not willing to get decorative pattern on my knife which eventually will fade away.

Another concern I have is the wooden wa handle. Not sure about maintaining. Will the light color get stain on it easily?

Sushi chef usually scrubs their wa-handle clean every day, even with some amount of abrasive. It is true that it would take stain, but you could also stain it darker with some wood stainer.

Hi guys, I think I will get a Fujiwara FKM Sujihiki 270mm for only $88+$7 delivery from JCK.

Had some thinking and decide to get a cheap, stainless, totally useable Sujihiki now, and spend more on yanagi in the future.

After all, cash makes most of the decisions.

Back