New gyuto for work

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boondocker

Reaction score
sLOCATION
What country are you in?

US

KNIFE TYPE
What type of knife are you interested in (e.g., chef’s knife, slicer, boning knife, utility knife, bread knife, paring knife, cleaver)?

Gyuto

Are you right or left handed?

Right

Are you interested in a Western handle (e.g., classic Wusthof handle) or Japanese handle?

No Preference, have used both

What length of knife (blade) are you interested in (in inches or millimeters)?

240mm

Do you require a stainless knife? (Yes or no)

No

What is your absolute maximum budget for your knife?

400 w/saya

KNIFE USE
Do you primarily intend to use this knife at home or a professional environment?

Pro. 50+hrs/week

What are the main tasks you primarily intend to use the knife for (e.g., slicing vegetables, chopping vegetables, mincing vegetables, slicing meats, cutting down poultry, breaking poultry bones, filleting fish, trimming meats, etc.)? (Please identify as many tasks as you would like.)

Mostly Vegetabe prep, also slicing during service. I have butchery knives for the critters.

What knife, if any, are you replacing?

My 240 Masamoto VG/ 210 Nenox G gyutos

Do you have a particular grip that you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for the common types of grips.)

Mostly pinch/hammer grip

What cutting motions do you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for types of cutting motions and identify the two or three most common cutting motions, in order of most used to least used.)

mostly push cuts, slicing. Some rocking (mincing herbs)

What improvements do you want from your current knife? If you are not replacing a knife, please identify as many characteristics identified below in parentheses that you would like this knife to have.)

Edge rentention is the big one.

KNIFE MAINTENANCE
Do you use a bamboo, wood, rubber, or synthetic cutting board? (Yes or no.)

I have wood at home, at work there are poly boards a type of pseudo wood board (not end grain thats for sure) and also a synthetic variety (which I use the most)

Do you sharpen your own knives? (Yes or no.)

Yes

If not, are you interested in learning how to sharpen your knives? (Yes or no.)

Are you interested in purchasing sharpening products for your knives? (Yes or no.)

already have

SPECIAL REQUESTS/COMMENTS

I've long lusted after the Masaoto KS and the solid carbon Mizuno wa-gyuto (which I can't seem to find anymore other than the clad blue steel and the stainless versions on JCK).

I'm not a fan of gaudy knives, I think there is nothing more attractive than a well used and maintained carbon blades.

That being said, I'm trying to keep things as wide open as possible, a wise man once told me to get every view point I could to make an informed decision.

Last edited:
Agree Carbon blades are best when well used! At your price point there are quite a few good unclad carbon blades out there.

At the top end I really like my Konosuke Fujiyama Blue #2 gyuto 240mm. 405.00 if they are still available. Jon at Japanese Knife Imports has some nice carbon blades with quality grinds & saya's.

I wasn't aware that Mizuno had ever offered a carbon mono-steel gyuto (other than their Honyaki which are still available).

sLOCATION
I've long lusted after the Masaoto KS and the solid carbon Mizuno wa-gyuto (which I can't seem to find anymore other than the clad blue steel and the stainless versions on JCK).

Have you emailed Koki and asked if they can source what you want from Mizuno? Even if the one you are after is not on their website, you can still check with them.
For example, I was after Sugimoto CM4030 Chinese cleaver and it wasn't and still isn't on their website. I asked Koki and had no problem getting one from them.

Its very possible that I am mistaken, I'm recalling things from half a decade ago about the Mizuno. I thought that the knife in this video has a pretty heavy patina across the whole blade.

[video=youtube_share;rTxFtK4shVY]http://youtu.be/rTxFtK4shVY[/video]

I will try emailing koki, thanks for the advice!

Chuckles, what do you use at work?

That's an Akitada Hontanren (it's the most commonly discussed Miz) Blue steel clad with soft iron, hence the patina.

They also make an expensive Honyaki, very expensive Suminagashi and a typical Sakai "laser" in Swedish stainless (thinner, lighter, different profile).

I use gyutos by most of the makers on this forum. My favorite is a 250mm by Mario Ingoglia. I do have one of those Mizunos and like it quite a bit. If you wanna check it out shoot me a PM.

I use gyutos by most of the makers on this forum. My favorite is a 250mm by Mario Ingoglia. I do have one of those Mizunos and like it quite a bit. If you wanna check it out shoot me a PM.

Would you mind doing a review of the Mizuno?

if edge retention is your game, Ryusen Blazen is your name.

I got my Mizuno off BST so am not sure how it compares to a new one. It has some heft behind it. Nice convex grind. Likes to be worked hard. I've been doing some work on it and have found the cladding to be pretty easy to work with.

image.jpg

Sorry to go briefly off topic, but how do you get a choil shot like that? I'm guessing not with a smartphone. I've had no luck getting a good focus on close shots with my iphone.

I can't take decent pictures with my phone. I didn't spend much on a camera and it has taken almost all the frustration out of taking pictures. Most notably when taking pictures of food.

I don't know anything about photography. But for a choil shot it seems the knife has to be between the camera and the light source. That shot is an overhead light bouncing off a kitchen cabinet. Taken with a Fujifilm XF1 on auto.

It arrived today (actually yesterday but I didn't check the mail since the office is closed when I get home).

I've been told it would need some hefty thinning, but I am not certain it does, at least not right away. the profile looks very nice, much like the 270 I tried out for a week, but not nearly as thick. Very smooth grind on the righthanded bevel side with a mostly flat back side (much like my Masamoto). The spine and choil were nicely rounded and polished, which ive never experienced in a new knife its nice to know that I am getting what I pay for. Feels really good in the hand both pinch and hammer grip.

It came without much of an edge, but I had the 220 grit soaking to set an edge on it already so thats no concern. CAnnot wait to try it at work today, not sure how much action itll see today is poussin day so mostly buchery and such today. Thursday Friday it will see its paces though. We need to make onion syrup this week I think, which involves 50# of onions, so I'm wondering if I should force a patina on it before that. Any ideas? I dont like what onions did to the 270..

These pictures don't do it justice, entirely. I also asked Koki to pick me out a slightly taller and thinner one out of what they had.

choil

spine

I understand that the above one is Mizuno gyuto; what series is it?

Back