Quantcast
Stainless Petty recommendations
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stainless Petty recommendations

Stainless Petty recommendations

I am currently using a Hiromoto AS 150mm petty that I absolutely love. The problem is...so does my wife. Who, even after constant reminding, leaves it sitting out dirty or when she does clean it. Leaves it sitting wet on the drying rack with all of the other dishes "to dry". So, I am constantly battling rust on the edge and she chipped the blade (very small) a few days ago. So, I need to fix that this week. Anyway, looking for other who may have had good experiences with an all stainless petty. 150 seems to be a good size and I like the profile of the Hiromoto AS. So, I am looking for something that I can say is "her knife" and I can continue to use the Hiromoto AS.

The Hiromoto G3 would be a likely option but JCK is out of stock. I know a lot of people like the Carbonext. But, that is "stain resistant" I need something that is stainless. Well, as stainless, as stainless gets anyway. So, any other options, experiences, opinions are welcome. Oh, and something with a Western handle. She is not fond of the japanese handles.

Quote Originally Posted by rodneyat View Post
    I am currently using a Hiromoto AS 150mm petty that I absolutely love. The problem is...so does my wife. Who, even after constant reminding, leaves it sitting out dirty or when she does clean it. Leaves it sitting wet on the drying rack with all of the other dishes "to dry". So, I am constantly battling rust on the edge and she chipped the blade (very small) a few days ago. So, I need to fix that this week. Anyway, looking for other who may have had good experiences with an all stainless petty. 150 seems to be a good size and I like the profile of the Hiromoto AS. So, I am looking for something that I can say is "her knife" and I can continue to use the Hiromoto AS.

The Hiromoto G3 would be a likely option but JCK is out of stock. I know a lot of people like the Carbonext. But, that is "stain resistant" I need something that is stainless. Well, as stainless, as stainless gets anyway. So, any other options, experiences, opinions are welcome. Oh, and something with a Western handle. She is not fond of the japanese handles.
    This is not a knife problem, this is a wife problem! Good luck with that!

Ginsanko will rust if left wet for long periods, and isn't the toughest steel either (heat treat dependent as always). Globals stand up well to abuse.

Quote Originally Posted by AlexG View Post
    This is not a knife problem, this is a wife problem! Good luck with that!

Quote Originally Posted by rodneyat View Post
    I know a lot of people like the Carbonext. But, that is "stain resistant" I need something that is stainless. Well, as stainless, as stainless gets anyway.
    My CN gyuto has been left wet, after cutting vegetables and charcuterie and meat (not by me, read on). It also survived my girlfriend's attempts to cut cinnamon sticks with it without chipping. There are discolored spots on it - but while not stainless, it is definitely rustless.

Even if all this abuse will not make it rust, it will still get dull. Relatively fool proof as far as moist and acidic stuff are concerned: Misono 440.

I had a Gesshin Ginga 150mm stainless wa-petty that was fantastic. I only sold it because I love carbon blades so much.
    -Matt

My wife loves her JCK/Hattori forum knife. Vg-10, but not chippy, holds an edge for a good amount of time and the F+F is superb so she'll think its pretty special.

Quote Originally Posted by Dusty View Post
    My wife loves her JCK/Hattori forum knife. Vg-10, but not chippy, holds an edge for a good amount of time and the F+F is superb so she'll think its pretty special.
    And now they have one with korin (white) handles (look under 'specials'). Looks very elegant.

How about a Fujiwara FKM? You really can't go wrong at $44

http://japanesechefsknife.com/FKMSeries.html#FKM