Stainless Petty recommendations

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rodneyat

Reaction score
I am currently using a Hiromoto AS 150mm petty that I absolutely love. The problem is...so does my wife. Who, even after constant reminding, leaves it sitting out dirty or when she does clean it. Leaves it sitting wet on the drying rack with all of the other dishes "to dry". So, I am constantly battling rust on the edge and she chipped the blade (very small) a few days ago. So, I need to fix that this week. Anyway, looking for other who may have had good experiences with an all stainless petty. 150 seems to be a good size and I like the profile of the Hiromoto AS. So, I am looking for something that I can say is "her knife" and I can continue to use the Hiromoto AS. :)

The Hiromoto G3 would be a likely option but JCK is out of stock. I know a lot of people like the Carbonext. But, that is "stain resistant" I need something that is stainless. Well, as stainless, as stainless gets anyway. :) So, any other options, experiences, opinions are welcome. Oh, and something with a Western handle. She is not fond of the japanese handles.

I am currently using a Hiromoto AS 150mm petty that I absolutely love. The problem is...so does my wife. Who, even after constant reminding, leaves it sitting out dirty or when she does clean it. Leaves it sitting wet on the drying rack with all of the other dishes "to dry". So, I am constantly battling rust on the edge and she chipped the blade (very small) a few days ago. So, I need to fix that this week. Anyway, looking for other who may have had good experiences with an all stainless petty. 150 seems to be a good size and I like the profile of the Hiromoto AS. So, I am looking for something that I can say is "her knife" and I can continue to use the Hiromoto AS. :)

The Hiromoto G3 would be a likely option but JCK is out of stock. I know a lot of people like the Carbonext. But, that is "stain resistant" I need something that is stainless. Well, as stainless, as stainless gets anyway. :) So, any other options, experiences, opinions are welcome. Oh, and something with a Western handle. She is not fond of the japanese handles.

This is not a knife problem, this is a wife problem! Good luck with that! :lol2:

Ginsanko will rust if left wet for long periods, and isn't the toughest steel either (heat treat dependent as always). Globals stand up well to abuse.

I know a lot of people like the Carbonext. But, that is "stain resistant" I need something that is stainless. Well, as stainless, as stainless gets anyway. :)

My CN gyuto has been left wet, after cutting vegetables and charcuterie and meat (not by me, read on). It also survived my girlfriend's attempts to cut cinnamon sticks with it without chipping. There are discolored spots on it - but while not stainless, it is definitely rustless.

Even if all this abuse will not make it rust, it will still get dull. Relatively fool proof as far as moist and acidic stuff are concerned: Misono 440.

I had a Gesshin Ginga 150mm stainless wa-petty that was fantastic. I only sold it because I love carbon blades so much.

My wife loves her JCK/Hattori forum knife. Vg-10, but not chippy, holds an edge for a good amount of time and the F+F is superb so she'll think its pretty special.

My wife loves her JCK/Hattori forum knife. Vg-10, but not chippy, holds an edge for a good amount of time and the F+F is superb so she'll think its pretty special.

And now they have one with korin (white) handles (look under 'specials'). Looks very elegant.

I'd agree with Erilyn here. Among all the 150mm petties that I've tried so far, Fujiwara seems to be the best beater.

Another good stainless contender is Tanaka: they comes in both VG10 and G3. I have only tried Tanaka with WA handles, but there are also western handles available. Yet for the wife I'd choose Fujiwara over Tanaka, because of fit and finish a little bit softer steel (which translates to less chipping).

FKM is :) i have the 12cm and it has taken a lot of abuse from my gf and our flatmates, it holds a nice edge and it gets really sharp as well.

My sister loves the Tanaka G3 with the western handle. It gets abused just like most stainless steel and has hold up very well. Hardly any rusting at all and it gets left in the sink all the time. Holds the edge very well and it's the most used knife in the house.

Where does one find a Tanaka G3 petty?. Metalmasters hasn't had any in the several months I've been looking, and another unnamable site doesn't carry the petty.

Where does one find a Tanaka G3 petty?. Metalmasters hasn't had any in the several months I've been looking, and another unnamable site doesn't carry the petty.

Metalmasters had 3 or 4 of the 150mm G3 wa-petties a few weeks ago. They were sold out within 5 days.

Cod sarne it. They don't do an email notification either. I guess I need to be more vigilant.

Unless someone wants to sell me theirs...1

Thanks for all the recommendations. I think I may pickup one of the Tanakas from Ebay. Not bad for the price. And maybe pickup a Carbonext, as well.

hiromoto is what alot of the sushi guys i work with bc of its stain resisitance.

Back