• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Kitchen Knife Forums and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

WTB: good entry level honesuki

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm interested in a decent entry level honesuki. As a home cook, I don't break down enough chickens to warrant spending a lot on this knife, but I think it might be fun to have one. I'm right-handed, and would be open to either carbon or stainless, western or wa handle. I'd prefer to keep the cost below $100 (might go a bit higher for something better, but not a lot). I have a few Japanese waterstones and Marko hard felt strop so would be able to maintain its sharpness.

Tod, I was on the very same quest. Then I asked Jon from JKI for help - he has several models. Jon has recently added a simple western handle stainless steel honesuki to his webpage ($75). He also has a semi-stainless one for $95 (not on the webpage, but should look very similar to the stainless one). He told me that the F&F is not particularly great, but the steel should be very good. You can see it HERE. Description from Jon: "from left to right: new stainless ones, semi-stainless ones that i was mentioning with bad F&F but great steel, gesshin ginga, gesshin ginga, kochi, and heiji"

Look into the Tojito DP Western Deba - great chicken butcher for the buck and you can dress out a big fish with it as well.

Seems like many use deba instead of honesuki. I for one would probably not go there, because deba has a lot of belly what makes the tip harder to use. In comparison honesuki has nearly straight edge and so the tip is much more usable. But that is a personal preference I guess.

Fujiwara FKM Honesuki fits your needs, solid knife too

Seems like many use deba instead of honesuki. I for one would probably not go there, because deba has a lot of belly what makes the tip harder to use. In comparison honesuki has nearly straight edge and so the tip is much more usable. But that is a personal preference I guess.

[video=youtube;urIeUid1TMo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=urIeUid1TMo[/video]

That is one big deba - that poor chicken has no chance :) On the other hand - I would not want to use a knife this big/heavy to actually debone a chicken.

First you're breaking down a chicken now you're deboning a chicken. I wouldn't use a honesuki for deboning - a paring knife is for that.

[video=youtube;kAekQ5fzfGM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kAekQ5fzfGM[/video]

First you're breaking down a chicken now you're deboning a chicken. I wouldn't use a honesuki for deboning - a paring knife is for that.

I beg to differ

[video=youtube;-gf5QUFh3L8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=-gf5QUFh3L8[/video]

[video=youtube;2raI04WFJ4k]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=2raI04WFJ4k[/video]

[video=youtube;78IFzqczrDk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=78IFzqczrDk[/video]

Every time someone posts that it blows my mind.

Thanks for those Jon - different techniques for different ends - I was surprised he used the cutting edge to break the leg bone.

i think you're referring to his first cut which is at the joint between the drumstick and thigh... no bone there. Then he splits the drumstick bone with the spine of his knife.

Jon, the last video is great! I am going to practice that technique as soon as I will get a honesuki :)

Tod, I was on the very same quest. Then I asked Jon from JKI for help - he has several models. Jon has recently added a simple western handle stainless steel honesuki to his webpage ($75). He also has a semi-stainless one for $95 (not on the webpage, but should look very similar to the stainless one). He told me that the F&F is not particularly great, but the steel should be very good. You can see it HERE. Description from Jon: "from left to right: new stainless ones, semi-stainless ones that i was mentioning with bad F&F but great steel, gesshin ginga, gesshin ginga, kochi, and heiji"

I have just re-read my communication with Jon and realised that I have quoted wrong (too low) price on the semi-staimless one. It should have been $115 and not $95. Jon, I apologise for the mistake.

i think you're referring to his first cut which is at the joint between the drumstick and thigh... no bone there. Then he splits the drumstick bone with the spine of his knife.

I'm referring to the first hit at 7:19, a quick flip of the leg, and the second hit at 7:24.

Even if I don't understand the Japanese, it's a great video to watch.

I'm referring to the first hit at 7:19, a quick flip of the leg, and the second hit at 7:24.

Even if I don't understand the Japanese, it's a great video to watch.

i see that now... i only put the last video up because it goes at a slower pace, but the guy is not a professional in the same way the first two videos are. I would avoid making the same mistake he makes in that video. Use the spine of your knife instead.

Latest posts

Back