Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Billip Knives: Gyuto in Review

Yeah, cuz I don't know what I'm talking about....
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

Quote Originally Posted by Umberto View Post
    For seven hundred bucks I'd want a knife to have a straight round spine and no slop in between the choil. According the maker via his own personal web-site, it is claimed that he spends about 20 hours on each blade. So for seven hundred bucks that's a bargain if you factor in the hourly wage acquired to make the knives...

But for me the consumer, I just see no value in a 700$ lump of 52100 steel. I love 1095 and 52100 carbon but that's just absurd to spend that kind of dough. If the op is happy more power to him. I'd love to see a video of the op using the knife on some food...The bottom line is the OP is happier than a pig in a pile of old produce. Let's see the knife in action.
    Not liking the look of a knife is fine as we have different views on things, but I am curious as to why you feel the need to question someone's knife reviewing credentials as well?

Quote Originally Posted by WarrenB View Post
    Not liking the look of a knife is fine as we have different views on things, but I am curious as to why you feel the need to question someone's knife reviewing credentials as well?
    If the review would come from someone with a limited amateur experience (for example me), one would simply take it with a grain of salt. But this review comes from a pro in knife business. So your attitude, Umberto, is really hard to understand. I guess you must know something about assessing performance of a knife from few photos the rest of us is missing. Please, educate us. Or just ... don't.

Oh and no, I do not think that Lefty has the need to justify his statements to you by making a video.

Let's not stir the pot warren. I'm a cheapskate and most of the world at large knows it. However when somebody posts a photo of a knife with uneven spine, a lumpy choil area with a sticker price of upward of 700$ I can't help but open my mouth and say wow...So is it too much to ask to see a video of the knife in action. If it looks rough but cuts like a demon that's cool.

I can't question the op's credentials. It's a subjective topic, not objective, nothing to question. I simply hold reservations towards a knife that costs upward of 700$ and has such a rough finish.

To everyone else, I apologize for my comments. I'm not a hothead, or quite as arrogant as I might have seemed in the last post. However, I hate J-Knife snobbery, and when one bashes something that he/she has never used. I've used knives from the world's best makers. I've sold knives from the world's best makers. I regularly discuss the nuances of high-performance cutlery with the world's best makers. Am I Jon Broida? No, but even Jon would be more than a little impressed with this piece. The fact that Andy is a farmer in Connecticut has no bearing on whether or not he can make a great knife, and quite honestly, neither does one's lineage. Being related to a guy who makes world class knives does not make someone a better knifemaker, and why being from Japan justifies a higher price, I'll never understand. Price is subjective, but performance really isn't. A knife either kicks ass, or it doesn't; This one does, more so than almost any knife I've ever used.
    09/06

If we could close the Umberto-case? Lefty, it's my understanding from the photo that the blade has a grinding meant for right-handed. Are you left-handed as your name seems to suggest? That would put your remarks about food release into another perspective.

The finish is actually very, very good. Meh. We know what you're all about, and I'm seeing too much of it on the forums as of late.
    09/06

Well this has been totally enlightening. Here I was, foolishly awaiting to spend my money on a chunk of steel when along came somebody very clever warding me off with words of... Wait a second. This guy offered absolutely NOTHING but a childishly aggressive opinion towards something based solely on a couple pictures.

Come come with the kick drum, buddy.

Hopefully the mods will come in and delete these tasteless distractions (including mine) to an otherwise good review.

And I'm still super excited for my Billipp gyuto.

*editing my original post, removing some content. Seems to be a lot going on here. My savvy witty comments no longer needed

Umberto chill the @%#& out man. Have you tried this knife? Dont be a dick when you dislike stuff. You've made your point, no need to 'rant' the way you do. No place for that on KKF, especially not towards a longstanding and contributing member like Tom.

No pot stirring here thanks, saying you really don't like the look/steel/price/grind of a knife is one thing but I think a rant about all these 'backyard blacksmiths' is poor form, as is asking for a video of the knife in action which suggests the reviewers views are in serious question. Is there a need to go that far?

Edit:sorry for hijacking the thread and dragging this crap along