Billipp Knives: Gyuto in Review

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lefty

Canada's Sharpest Lefty
Reaction score
After about three months with my Billipp gyuto, I feel it's finally time I take a couple minutes to give you guys the lowdown on a relatively unknown (for now) maker. I first was connected with Andy through our good friend John Sinclair. John had been using some of Andy's early pieces and probably a year ago now, he sent me a picture to show off his new toy. I immediately fell for the look of it, with its refined rustic and artistic appearance, yet obvious quality and well thought out design (profile, handle, steel type, etc). After a bit of talking to Andy, I finally talked him into letting me buy one of his knives, and right off the bat, I knew it was worth my patience. To Andy's credit, he wanted to sell only when he was confident that his pieces were worthy of being purchased. Funny, because he'd quietly been at the knife-making game for a few years, yet he didn't want to rush out and sell something that others might not be happy with. In other words, he is a guy who has tons of pride in his work, and talent coming out of everywhere.

Here's the beautiful 240mm gyuto, made with Maidou Burl, and brass for the handle and 52100 hardened to about 61-62.

3558E85B-25FA-4FCD-8375-E78449EF296E-22171-00001BC0AA82229D_zps8e1b43cb.jpg

This knife is one of those pieces that looks amazing in pictures, but really blows you away once it's in hand, and better yet, in use. The overall feel of this knife makes you understand why kurouchi and tsuchime finishes are so well loved. The big difference with Andy's KU and hammered finish is that they are real effects of his knife-making process. The marks look beautiful and add to the handmade feel of his knives.

536C8E1B-88B6-4CF2-87BD-4E721C991989-22134-00001BBBC0F448A0_zps2245ae9f.jpg

In terms of cutting, this gyuto cuts like a Harner, or a Carter. If you know anything about me and my regard for those two makers, you'll know that by this, I mean it is one of the flat-out best cutting gyutos I've ever used. That's saying a lot...period. There is minor sticktion, as you'll find with any pure cutter, but I've never gotten stuck as a result of it. Essentially, product falls off or slides up and off the blade face. Honestly, this is more than acceptable, in my books and pretty much the only way to have food fall off much easier is through extensive convexing at the edge which hurts cutting performance. Here's a choil shot to show you a bit of the grind:

A3BCA4CA-4D1D-4AB2-8CFD-6B037DFAC7AD-22134-00001BBB669F6063_zpsd18dbb62.jpg

The fit and finish on this gyuto is beautiful! Andy manages to balance that fine line of rustic and polished perfectly. The handle is smooth and sexy, the KU isn't going anywhere any time soon, the joints are clean and precise...what more can I say?

I can honestly say that this knife would be a serious contender for "my only knife". I expect to hand this down to my son one day, and it will dutifully make delicious meals with him for years and years after that. I love carbon steel, and this one is aging wonderfully, as they should. I can't wait to see what it looks like in 5 years....

F79B30DF-3BA3-4378-A45E-D6419BA071FE-22134-00001BBC11116FFB_zpsbf433072.jpg

If you guys are smart, you'll go and track this man down to make you a knife. This is another one of those cases in which I feel lucky to have gotten to know the maker, and managed to get a knife early, before his work gets to be virtually unattainable.

2F6B7E00-86E7-4E76-8CFD-7F2A0598900A-22134-00001BBBEB3BA1E8_zps90fa97fe.jpg

Mods, can you please change the title to read "Billipp Knives: Gyuto in Review"? I noticed I misspelled his last name and it was unfixable....

Thanks!

I was half asleep but I could have sworn I left a comment here last night. Anywho, great write up-makes me even More stoked to get mine here come soon!

That's a lot of money for 52100 barstock pounded out. I like rustic blades but that is just too damn expensive. For his asking prices I'd rather buy a Japanese blade from somebody who actually forges from generations of experience. I'm getting a little tired of seeing these back yard blacksmiths get on the bandwagon, making overpriced mediocre carbon blades and adding a bling handle.

A pretty handle doesn't mean squat to me. For 750$ I don't want to see a lumpy spine and half ass grind. Sorry that knife is atrocious.

Umberto, you do not like neither the look, not the finish, that's OK. We get that and it is fine to share that opinion. But on what basis do you call this blade mediocre or the grind half ass? Why are you trying so hard to offend the maker? You just make yourself look like a fool with bad manners. And also like a troll.

That's a lot of money for 52100 barstock pounded out. I like rustic blades but that is just too damn expensive. For his asking prices I'd rather buy a Japanese blade from somebody who actually forges from generations of experience. I'm getting a little tired of seeing these back yard blacksmiths get on the bandwagon, making overpriced mediocre carbon blades and adding a bling handle.

A pretty handle doesn't mean squat to me. For 750$ I don't want to see a lumpy spine and half ass grind. Sorry that knife is atrocious.

I don't often say this, but you need to learn a thing or two about how to conduct yourself, and maybe do some research before you bash a guy who has more talent than you could dream of. Sometimes being a vendor limits me, but I don't need your business badly enough to sit back and let you run your mouth. Try a piece of his before you spout off.

For seven hundred bucks I'd want a knife to have a straight round spine and no slop in between the choil. According the maker via his own personal web-site, it is claimed that he spends about 20 hours on each blade. So for seven hundred bucks that's a bargain if you factor in the hourly wage acquired to make the knives...

But for me the consumer, I just see no value in a 700$ lump of 52100 steel. I love 1095 and 52100 carbon but that's just absurd to spend that kind of dough. If the op is happy more power to him. I'd love to see a video of the op using the knife on some food...The bottom line is the OP is happier than a pig in a pile of old produce. Let's see the knife in action.

Yeah, cuz I don't know what I'm talking about....

For seven hundred bucks I'd want a knife to have a straight round spine and no slop in between the choil. According the maker via his own personal web-site, it is claimed that he spends about 20 hours on each blade. So for seven hundred bucks that's a bargain if you factor in the hourly wage acquired to make the knives...

But for me the consumer, I just see no value in a 700$ lump of 52100 steel. I love 1095 and 52100 carbon but that's just absurd to spend that kind of dough. If the op is happy more power to him. I'd love to see a video of the op using the knife on some food...The bottom line is the OP is happier than a pig in a pile of old produce. Let's see the knife in action.

Not liking the look of a knife is fine as we have different views on things, but I am curious as to why you feel the need to question someone's knife reviewing credentials as well?

Not liking the look of a knife is fine as we have different views on things, but I am curious as to why you feel the need to question someone's knife reviewing credentials as well?

If the review would come from someone with a limited amateur experience (for example me), one would simply take it with a grain of salt. But this review comes from a pro in knife business. So your attitude, Umberto, is really hard to understand. I guess you must know something about assessing performance of a knife from few photos the rest of us is missing. Please, educate us. Or just ... don't.

Oh and no, I do not think that Lefty has the need to justify his statements to you by making a video.

Let's not stir the pot warren. I'm a cheapskate and most of the world at large knows it. However when somebody posts a photo of a knife with uneven spine, a lumpy choil area with a sticker price of upward of 700$ I can't help but open my mouth and say wow...So is it too much to ask to see a video of the knife in action. If it looks rough but cuts like a demon that's cool.

I can't question the op's credentials. It's a subjective topic, not objective, nothing to question. I simply hold reservations towards a knife that costs upward of 700$ and has such a rough finish.

To everyone else, I apologize for my comments. I'm not a hothead, or quite as arrogant as I might have seemed in the last post. However, I hate J-Knife snobbery, and when one bashes something that he/she has never used. I've used knives from the world's best makers. I've sold knives from the world's best makers. I regularly discuss the nuances of high-performance cutlery with the world's best makers. Am I Jon Broida? No, but even Jon would be more than a little impressed with this piece. The fact that Andy is a farmer in Connecticut has no bearing on whether or not he can make a great knife, and quite honestly, neither does one's lineage. Being related to a guy who makes world class knives does not make someone a better knifemaker, and why being from Japan justifies a higher price, I'll never understand. Price is subjective, but performance really isn't. A knife either kicks ass, or it doesn't; This one does, more so than almost any knife I've ever used.

If we could close the Umberto-case? Lefty, it's my understanding from the photo that the blade has a grinding meant for right-handed. Are you left-handed as your name seems to suggest? That would put your remarks about food release into another perspective.

The finish is actually very, very good. Meh. We know what you're all about, and I'm seeing too much of it on the forums as of late.

Well this has been totally enlightening. Here I was, foolishly awaiting to spend my money on a chunk of steel when along came somebody very clever warding me off with words of... Wait a second. This guy offered absolutely NOTHING but a childishly aggressive opinion towards something based solely on a couple pictures.

Come come with the kick drum, buddy.

Hopefully the mods will come in and delete these tasteless distractions (including mine) to an otherwise good review.

And I'm still super excited for my Billipp gyuto.

*editing my original post, removing some content. Seems to be a lot going on here. My savvy witty comments no longer needed

Umberto chill the @%#& out man. Have you tried this knife? Dont be a dick when you dislike stuff. You've made your point, no need to 'rant' the way you do. No place for that on KKF, especially not towards a longstanding and contributing member like Tom.

No pot stirring here thanks, saying you really don't like the look/steel/price/grind of a knife is one thing but I think a rant about all these 'backyard blacksmiths' is poor form, as is asking for a video of the knife in action which suggests the reviewers views are in serious question. Is there a need to go that far?

Edit:sorry for hijacking the thread and dragging this crap along:thumbsup:

If we could close the Umberto-case? Lefty, it's my understanding from the photo that the blade has a grinding meant for right-handed. Are you left-handed as your name seems to suggest? That would put your remarks about food release into another perspective.
Forget my post please. Didn't look well, my fault.

I don't think it is so much to ask for a video. The reviewer is thrilled with the food release of the knife, if that's the case I think others would enjoy seeing it in action. Really I think most people would appreciate esoteric knife makers to have some video demos. For review purposes a video would benefit the knife enthusiast community. Textual based reviews tell how the knife behaves, videos to some extent really show off how it behaves...

So would be you be so kind as to demolish a few potatoes?

Beautiful piece. Has the maker tried to made what Marko calls S-grind for food release. At least this seems from the choil shot?

Nice review. Thank you for sharing the comments. The thread got weird but it didn't diminish the quality of the review.

Looks like a great knife lefty I like how it is left rustic but not in a black kuriochi way. Also how is the handle it looks significantly bigger than the rader is this better?

Thanks for the detailed review, Lefty. As a senior member and respected vendor here, your opinions certainly carries a fair amount of weight with many of us. I'm going to look into these.

I know it's extra work to make a video, but I'd love to see one, either by Lefty or anyone else who has one of these.

I could likely do it, but I'm not sure how to from my phone....

Back