Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Billipp Knives: Gyuto in Review

In the simplest terms, nobody cuts with the choil.
    “Though I could not caution all, I still might warn a few; Don’t lend your hand to raise no flag atop no ship of fools.” Robert Hunter

Quote Originally Posted by ecchef View Post
    In the simplest terms, nobody cuts with the choil.
    But how evil it would be to make a knife with finely sharpened choil

Quote Originally Posted by MAS4T0 View Post
    Thanks Matus, the angled shot answered all the questions I had.

The odd looking choil seems to be purely a product of the way the knife is finished, rather than an indicator of the grind.
    Yes, this is correct. Andy rounds the spines and choils by forging them that way. They receive very little if any attention from a belt/file/sandpaper/etc. So naturally there are some variations from hammer blows. These are magnified by backlit macro choil shots.
    "God sends meat and the devil sends cooks." - Thomas Deloney

Awesome thread. Lovely knives. Love the look and finish. A know a lot of farms houses in my area with an old knife of unknown origin. They are often a piece of steel, possibly from the barn, banged out on a farriers anvil. The steel is unknown, the heat treat either not there or very poor and the maker long since dead and unrecognized. The knife cuts, which is exactly what it's supposed to do.

The Billipp knives reflect this heritage and in that way their lineage transcends bloodlines and joins a family of backyard makers that do out of need.

Quote Originally Posted by CrisAnderson27 View Post
    I must say, this is quite rich, lol.

Do the best race car drivers come from 'generations' of race car drivers? Sometimes, but not always.
    Do the best professional chefs come from 'generations' of culinary professionals? Sometimes, but not always.
    Do the best police men or firefighters come from 'generations' of police men and firefighters (thought you'd appreciate this Tom!). Yep...sometimes, but not always.

As a person who knows first hand what it means to successfully teach yourself to do something (actually, a number of somethings) professionally 'in your back yard'...I can honestly say that this person doesn't have the first clue. 'Generations' of collective experience mean exactly squat if there is no innovation, drive, and most importantly...questioning of one's methods and or relevant ideologies.

Period.

This is not a bash on Japanese makers...of whom I have tremendous respect. This is a bash on ignorance and the outright public display of it.

As for Andy...he makes great knives...and I'd like to think that I have enough experience in this area to know .
    Just because I like having examples, one the one hand we have the Manning brothers, Steph Curry, Nelson Piquet Jr, and Max Verstappen (I know those last two aren't champions; work with me here). On the other, we have Aaron Rodgers, LeBron James, Lewis Hamilton, and Sebastian Vettel. Having parents who can teach you a craft from birth certainly helps, but is by no means necessary.

On Billipp, it's really cool that someone is making serious knives in my home state, but something about the shape of his handles doesn't sit right with me. Like it's trying to split the difference between western and wa, and doesn't make it work. That's actually how I feel about a lot of hidden-tang western handles, though, including Catcheside.
    actually named Mike

Quote Originally Posted by DanHumphrey View Post
    On Billipp, it's really cool that someone is making serious knives in my home state, but something about the shape of his handles doesn't sit right with me. Like it's trying to split the difference between western and wa, and doesn't make it work. That's actually how I feel about a lot of hidden-tang western handles, though, including Catcheside.
    Is this impression based on using a Billipp?

Quote Originally Posted by toddnmd View Post

Is this impression based on using a Billipp?

Quote Originally Posted by DanHumphrey View Post
    I can see what he means, it's a western with a hidden tang and an emoto.

To me it's more of a sculptural Wa handle than a "true" western, but I personally prefer that.