Cleaver

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rami_m

Reaction score
So, I would like to try out a cleaver, but would like something decent but wouldn't break the bank. Around $50 to $100. What would you guys recommend?

Do you want stainless / semi-stainless / carbon?

I would say carbon. But can go semi stainless if good value.

Go to Asian shop and get a thin carbon steel with black finish. A small Shibazi slicer is 28 bucks at Fortuna kitchenware. Leung Tim Chopper in budwood would have something for about 50 up to a 100 for a brush finish model. A CCK in AU would be about 60-70.

thats doable. thanks Chanop. I know a few Asian shops in Blacktown. so will pop in during the weekend. wasn't sure which brands to get thou.

This :knife:

heiji_chuka_0.jpg

Rami, just get something like this, most likely, any brand will do. This one in picture is Shibazi no.1 carbon steel slicer. What I have seen in Sydney and used to own is no.2, a touch smaller simiar to CCK 1303 in size, shape, and design.

attachment.php

I'd say this is a very good advice from schanop. You can start with a cheap smaller size cleaver first to see if it suits you. You may find the size just right for you, or you may want more height in normal size cleaver (like 12cm). Or you might also find the cleaver is just not for you.

If this is your first time trying out Chinese cleaver, have a look at this thread here, if you haven't.

Thanks Chanop, that is actually very helpful. J, that's the thread that made me think about cleavers in the first place. I thought it would be fun to try since I do very little rocking.

:laugh::laugh:
Heiji Semi Stainless medium/all purpose (#7) chuka.

Haha I'm sure that blade is couple times the gentleman's budget :laugh:

I second the chinatown special or a CCK if you can find one

Well went yesterday and couldn't find any thing ( with the exception of kiwi's). Will try a different shop today.

Rami, from where you are, come down to Burwood to Tim Leung. It might be a bit more expensive, but you'll be in a joyous mood browsing all the cleavers and cookwares they have. I don't think they open on Sunday though.

Will try next week then :). Btw what's 3 emu brand

Brief tangent, but what have you guys done with Josh? I thought he owned every cleaver there was and enjoyed his posts about them.

No. It was on my list of things to get but could not find the right one.

Rami both you & Schanop live in Sydney. You should be able to get a carbon like the picture he posted. Big city like Sydney I would think carry CCK carbon cleavers in Chinatown.

In the lower price range the best cleavers are carbon. I have tried various stainless Chinese cleavers and sharpened others. Have not found a Chinese made stainless that is quality steel. Not saying they don't exist, just have not found any.

The Japanese do make some very good stainless, but over your price range. The Sugimoto CM 4030 is in 150.00 range. I think your best bet just trying a cleaver is to get something like the CCK in carbon for around 50.00 they actually cut quite well.

And don't forget to look for stainless-clad carbon. Some of them are very respectable.

Back