Whats your Forschners abilities boundary?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bieniek

Banned
Reaction score
Today I had a pleasure of breaking down whole cods. 8 Fish, i didnt weigh them but I loved the size[5-6kg], fillets made beautifull, 4x200grams portions.

But the but is I used My VictorInox gyuto 25cm. I used it because previous day i did new edge on it and wanted to try, but also because I dont have a good idea on new Deba.

Anyways, while the skin and flesh felt like cling film to cut, the bones were a nightmare! I mean the blade was to light, and it just felt helpless. I had to chop my way through.
I really wanted to get to breadknife and make it easy on myself.
Then portioning went smooth, I love the flesh of fresh cod :biggrin:

That got me thinking if I hit the boundary of My cheapo-powers :wink:

What did you found out about yours?

Using a knife to break down whole fish that is not very heavy is a different skill set. It requires slightly different motions and different tactics to get things to work well.

With that in mind, I think there is something to be said about the ability to do your job without high-cost tools.

Im not quite shure what kind of difference you have in mind. As I said I dont have a problem with flesh or skin, just the tough cos bones. It wouldnt be a issue with salmon, but I wonder how much of a shitting myself I would have with a snapper.
Now I also have reflex it could be having something to do with the length, 250 is quite a blae for being such light.

Definitely, there is special tool for the job and its laughing at me right now. What do you mean high costing?

I mean bigger, heavier, specially designed tools. They usually cost more due to the increase in materials and the specialty of the need.

It is certainly advisable to use a good skinning knife to skin a deer, but it's always impressive to see someone clean and skin a deer well with a Buck 110.

Back