Aritsugu type A steel?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

D3st1n

Reaction score
Does anybody have any experience with aritsugu type A (gyuto perhaps) ? Any reviews? Thanks...
Best regards' destin

I have two Kanto style usuba (Masamoto and Suisin brands) and one kamagata usuba (Kansai style, Masamoto brand). Aritsugu is probably considered the most prestigious maker of traditional Japanese knives today, other than some custom makers. Ask any sushi chef – the name Aritsugu is usually uttered with awe. Usuba is a traditional specialized Japanese style used for thin slicing of vegetables. The edge is very delicate.

sure... i have a couple... what do you want to know?

@noriydiv aritsugu doesnt really make anything themselves FWIW... kind of like masamoto. They have craftsmen make things for them under their brand. Not to say what they have made isnt good, but just wanted to clarify.

Hey jon, thanks for your reply. I want to know about the durability of the steel. Since I searched in some sources price is so reasonable.

Someone got it tested on the old KF (I think it was Rottman). You can probably find the analysis somewhere, but I think it was unremarkable - 7% Cr, RC 58.

Zknives.com (Gator) has a typically comprehensive review. All you need really.

i used an a type gyuto and petty at work for 2 years or so. still use em occasionally. it's semi stainless steel. for the money, it's decent to good in most respects, sharpenability, sharpness, edge retention. however, whilst it doesn't rust too easily, it will get some spots and definitely tends to get a dull grey patina. in terms of aesthetics, it's not particularly attractive unless you have a regimen to keep it stain free and lots of sandpaper.

however, the real problem with a type knives isn't the steel, it's the grind. they're pretty thick behind the edge and need heavy thinning. because the steel is relatively wear resistant, it's a pita to thin.

when i did my research on the knife, i remember that it was lauded on the old kf if you thinned it a lot because then it'd cut pretty well and last quite long. i got the knife because i wanted a wa handled gyuto and i happened to be in tokyo. for the money it's still a decent proposition. i paid like $150 for my 240mm gyuto including a saya.

nowadays, there's easy access and knowledge of many different brands across the board, so for me, the a types aren't really what i'd look at but ymmv. it's still a decent, utilitarian knife but it's not the best value considering how much thinning needs to be done.

Thanks for review and your experience with this knife. Now at least I can picture it a bit. ... thank you. .

it is one of the toughest and most durable knives in my collection all considering. The 270's are quite thick, but the 210mm and 240mm gyutos are a bit thinner. I put quite a bit of work into mine before i felt happy with it, but it served me well for many years.

I used a 270 that had a ton of work done to it and it was the best knife I've ever used. Edge retention was great and it was very tough

I had one and it was a really good piece. I loved the edge it took, and the utilitarian look. They're good knives, still.

I sat down at a sushi bar and the chef was slicing fish with an aritsugu. He said he ordered it from Japan. Apparently quite a few sushi chefs do.

Thanks for the inputs and comments, really appreciate it. ...

also similar to masamoto, aritsugu and atisugu tsukiji are two different companies..

Latest posts

Back