Quantcast
Chinese Cleaver (Chuka) Upgrade (Stainless) - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Chinese Cleaver (Chuka) Upgrade (Stainless)

Quote Originally Posted by wisew View Post
    You would recommend the F-631 over the F-921? I was intrigued looking at the F-631, and I've read Andy's post, but I'm just really skeptical that it wouldn't be slippery if wet / slightly oily.

Hmmmmm that's interesting... although as far as I know the only stainless steel cleaver Sugimoto makes is the no. 30 which is shorter than my current cleaver (190mm), though it is taller. Unless they do customs?

What do you make of the Ashi though?
    I choke up on the blade on my cleavers so I never had any issues due to wet or oily handles, due to the height of the blade its rare for oil or water to migrate up there. If it gets too wet I just wipe it down. The blade on the Tojiro's are all the same clad VG10. The only thing that matters is if you like the rounded rectangle sugimoto-ish handle of the 631 or the wood barrel of the 921. Personalty I like the sugi-ish rectangular handle, looks better and finally Iron chef Wakiya Yūji has one in his line up

Here's a pic of mine when it was new so you can get a better idea of the handle.

One cleaver that hasn't been mentioned here is the Richmond Fanatic in AEB-L, that one might be worth a look.

Quote Originally Posted by Lefty View Post
    I'm currently borrowing some of Mike's cleavers (thanks again, Mike!), and I thought for sure I'd like the Ashi the best. However, in no time whatsoever, I've already started to prefer the feel and heft of the Sugimoto. They have terrific handles, and feel right in the hand. I know sugimoto has a stainless option, too, so I'd look there.
    Glad your enjoying it Tom.

One more badass cleaver to consider is a Saji, http://www.japanesechefsknife.com/SP...nese%20Cleaver. Its too rich for my blood, but boy is it bad ass...

Also another option is to speak to the bladesmith's here and see if you can commission one. I know that are far more fancier steels like R2 that traditional cleaver makers don't use.

For stainless cleavers Tojiro does a good job. They are comfortable in the hand & have good grinds. The geometry of your Tojiro is far better than the Richmond. Also JMO skinny octagon handles on cleavers feel like crap. With a pinch grip round barrels afford great control & comfort.

the f-921 has 2 rivets, just the light on the bwj pics is bad. if you turn up the contrast, you can see it.

the f-631 handle is not slippery at all.

still, id say get in contact with ashi hamono and order a customized one.

these are my cleavers

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone!

I'd say I'm definitely down to a Gesshin Ginga cleaver, Tojiro F-631/921 (probably 621 - if I were to get one with a standard rosewood handle it would be the Ginga), and the Hattori FH-15 (I still want one of these - but it sounds like it's maybe not as good performance-wise as the others?).

Quote Originally Posted by berko View Post
    still, id say get in contact with ashi hamono and order a customized one.
    I'm not sure about ordering custom direct from Ashi Hamono - where I am in my knife experience, I don't think I should be ordering any custom knives because I haven't had enough experience to really solidify my preferences. My custom order would be sort of a blind shot in the dark - at least with the Gesshin Ginga I can trust that Jon's customizations made a really good knife. Then later on (years down the road probably) I can consider a custom if I find out that one of these knives isn't quite doing it for me.

(Although I wonder... maybe I'll talk to Jon about custom ordering a Gesshin Ginga with a more rounded, Sugimoto-like handle? )

To give me an idea though, does anyone know what the lead time on customs from Ashi is usually like?

i ordered 2 custom cleavers there. first took 3 weeks to be completed, second took 4 weeks. i guess another 2 weeks shipping to germany including german customs.