Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Band saw blades?

I pay about $75 before shipping per 6' blade in 1/2"x.025"x3T Lenox Trimaster carbide-tipped blade. I usually order 2 at a time. A cut is very smooth and requires very little sanding. Cutting tropical hardwoods is pretty effortless, and mind you, I cut up to 3" tall blocks sometimes. The motor (1/2HP) can barely handle, but the blade is fine.

Over the years, I have used a variety of brands and types, before I switched to carbide tipped blades. It will save you money (and time, as setting and tuning up a bandsaw with each blade takes time) in a long and possibly a short run. Particularly if you plan on cutting dense material, as stabilized wood is.

Recently I went back and used bimetal (Starret brand I think) blade. It dulled quickly, compared to a carbide tipped, so I almost considered it a waste of money.

Another thing, you might want to upgrade the blade guides on your band saw. This will give you a smoother cut. I got mine from Carter Products (not that Carter ).

http://www.carterproducts.com/produc...id=6&cat_id=12

M

"All beauty that has no foundation in use, soon grows distasteful and needs continuous replacement with something new." The Shakers' saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

Has anyone purchased blades from www.sawblade.com
    There prices are so low I am suspect of the quality.

See if you can slow down the speed some - maybe some adjustable pulleys. It will cut metal better and your blades will last longer. I have a 16" Delta three wheel band saw that I converted to metal and it cuts very well. I cut Tele bridge plates, aluminum, copper and other steel up to 1/4" on it without complaint.

The Lenox bi-metal (I use the Diemaster 2) is really hard to beat for an overall blade. My big saw is set up with a 1/2" 3tpi .035 and I use it for green wood and for crosscutting and ripping dry wood. I also have a Trimaster carbide blade for this saw, but it sees very little use.

My smaller saw is set up with a 1/4" 6tpi for smaller curves, smaller material.

I've had good luck with these folks www.bandsawbladesdirect.com and you can get any width, thickness, length, etc.
    Last edited by richinva; 07-23-2012 at 09:05 AM. Reason: forgot stuff

When I was woodworking I had my powermatic 14" - great saw, now in storage. A little OT, but I found that rather than any resaw fences or gadgets, all you had to do is track the blade: saw some wood with a line on it, freehand, and see whether following the line requires an angle to the feed to following the line. Once you know how the blade tracks you can angle a fence so that you are not fighting with the tracking. I found that wide blades were not necessary and I could resaw 6-7" deep for bookmatching with a 3/8" blade. This came from a book by a guy named James Krenov who did beautiful little cabinets and tables - worth the read. I think he wrote 2 or 3 books so you have to find the right one where he talks more about techniques. He is all about the efficiency, not power. A properly adjusted, properly sharpened tool doesn't need the brute force.
    Everywhere you go, there you are.