Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Knife skill class

Quote Originally Posted by Marko Tsourkan View Post
    I know little, though I cook and use knives regularly. I would like to know what is the proper way to cut things, i.e. vegetables, meats, fish, poultry, etc.

M
    If you want to learn how to do things like how break down chicken and vegetables there are many different methods. That being said, video's and books are really great to see multiple methods of say breaking down a chicken, or peeling and dicing onions. In addition most classes are going to focus on things like how to hold a knife, how to use the claw grip, stance and maybe a few basic breakdowns like a chicken, onion, and maybe a carrot or pepper. I doubt these are things you wouldn't pick up just as easily from videos and books.

Also I'm sure you do work for some NYC chefs, why not see if one of them will show you some stuff, maybe for some discounted work, then you know the caliber of the person who is teaching you going in, plus chefs have a lot more stuff in their kitchen to show than most knife skills classes could ever hope for.

Cheers
    Drew

I have experience cutting vegetables and butchering meat, not as much fish, though. Let me know if there's anything I can do for you....