Quantcast
First J Knife - Page 3
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: First J Knife

Quote Originally Posted by barakhav View Post
    When you say caring you mean hand washing and instant drying?
    or does it involve any other things?

OH and I forgot to add that if I take the Carbo-Next is it a wise decision to order it extra sharp?
    The opinions on extra sharp service have been all over the place about the quality and result.

handwashing, wiping the blade with a damp cloth during a cutting session and drying it are all good ideas. Here's a video Jon posted about caring for carbon steel knives

Quote Originally Posted by citizenY View Post
    as for sharpening, i really wouldn't worry about it to much, i am probably a terrible sharpener, and i know i add some convexity to my knife when i sharpen it, but it really not that hard to get decent a result, and give a knife an edge that is sharp and can maintain for a good while...
    A HUGE +1
    It is not that hard at all. It may be that you are not familiar with the words we use like burr and deburr, but if you know what they actually mean it is rather very simple concept and you just need to practice and practice. And using a magic marker makes it easier to get better result.

I still think the best option for you is to get a cheaper knife (CarboNext or Fujiwara) and the 1000/4000 combi stone from JCK altogether. I don't know how Koki does it, but their shipping is so cheap although they use EMS. If you order a stone separately, the shipping cost can go up coz stones are heavy.

Well I've read it all and I thank you all for the help!

I've narrowed it down to one of the 3 -
    Fujiwara FKM
    Carbonext
    Hiromoto AS

I'm leaning towards the FKM so I'll be able to abuse it while sharpening, but I'm still a bit troubled with the edge retention of the FKM.

Could you guys please help me narrow down my options considering these criterias:
    1. Thin edge.
    2. Long edge retention.
    3. Easy to learn how to sharpen.

The rest of the criterias i delayed to next knife (like handle, length, looks etc.) when I have a bigger budget and a bigger variety.

Since the Hiromoto has super blue (Aogami Super) core it will have most probably the best edge retention (because of higher hardness), but will take more effort to sharpen simply because of higher hardness. I mean it will take more time to sharpen, but it is not hard to de-burr. I have different knife in AS steel and that is the basis for this observation.

Fujiwara and Carbonext will both be less hard on the HRC scale than the hiromoto so steel removal during sharpening will be faster than with the Hiromoto.

I can not help you concerning the question (1) as I have not used these particular knives.

Thanks Matus, well noted.
    If anyone have or tried the knifes i stated I'd be glad if he could also give his opinion.

I have Carbonext - I think it is good piece of steel for the price.

It was not hard to get it shaving sharp and I am very bad at sharpening. It is stain resistant - expect some discoloration here and there, but it is hard to get it to rust.

For only a little more money than a Hiromoto, you can get a CarboNext (without the ES, which is, in my experience, unnecessary) and a combo stone.

Having a one of those three knives and no stone is somewhat meaningless, in my opinion. You really should have something to sharpen your knife because, as soon as it gets dull, it's not going to be drastically better than whatever knife you were previously using.

On the other hand, if you're willing to spend a little more and get a thinner knife, you'll see that a knife with a better geometry will be usable after the edge has lost some of its sharpness.
    Michael
    "Don't you know who he is?"

Quote Originally Posted by mhlee View Post
    For only a little more money than a Hiromoto, you can get a CarboNext (without the ES, which is, in my experience, unnecessary) and a combo stone.

Having a one of those three knives and no stone is somewhat meaningless, in my opinion. You really should have something to sharpen your knife because, as soon as it gets dull, it's not going to be drastically better than whatever knife you were previously using.

On the other hand, if you're willing to spend a little more and get a thinner knife, you'll see that a knife with a better geometry will be usable after the edge has lost some of its sharpness.

I will buy a combo stone never mind which knife I buy, that's for sure.

Which knives do you consider as thinner and with better geometry?

Quote Originally Posted by barakhav View Post
    I will buy a combo stone never mind which knife I buy, that's for sure.

Which knives do you consider as thinner and with better geometry?
    they would all be great choices, it is now totally up for your taste and budget....

the FKM would leave you more then enough for stones.

the carbonext would leave just about enough.

and the hiro would probably leave you with a bigger hole in your pocket than planned.

for your budget, if it was me, i would loose the FKM, and toss a coin for the other 2

good luck

+ Reply to Thread