Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Can't keep my Wusthoff Knives Sharp

Can't keep my Wusthoff Knives Sharp

I have a set of 30+ year old Wushoff kitchen knives. I get them good and sharp with my Edge Pro sharpener and after each use make a couple of passes with the ceramic rod provided with the Edge Pro. I don't use them that much, but after about 3 weeks they get "dull". I've seen other folks Wusthoff knives and they seem to stay sharper even though they don't seem to get the care mine do. Was there an issue with the steel in older Wusthoff knives?

I'm thinking about replacing them. Do you have suggestions for a Chef Knife and Slicer?

Thanks

Alfreedo

Welcome Alfreedo!

May want to post this in the sharpening subforum where it will get more views.

I personally don't know anything about an edge pro but your knives are being over sharpened. As a home user you should easily get a few months between sharpenings using a steel to realign the edge. If you are using low angles the edge will not last long.

You should get the current knives sorted out first and then we'll be glad to help you spend your money.

Cheers
    once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right

Sharpening Angle

I'm sharpening to about 20-22 degrees, which I don't think is too much for the knives or how I use them. I like your suggestion of posting to the sharpening forum.

Thanks

Alfreedo

Welcome to KKF, Alfreedo.

What angle are you setting on the Edge Pro? For optimal edge retention, your Wusthof knives should not be sharpened at less than 20 degrees, and a 25 degree micro bevel should be applied as well.

I would also suggest that you stop using the ceramic rod. A smooth steel is best for truing up a rolled edge without removing any metal.

Rick
    All cats are libertarians. Completely dependent on others, but fully convinced of their own independence.

How high a grit are you polishing? Over polishing can lead to quick edge failure on softer steel.
    Starting this harvest I'm a starving startling artist/
    Lyrical arsonist it's arduous spitting this smartest arsenic/

Last Grit

Quote Originally Posted by ThEoRy View Post
    How high a grit are you polishing? Over polishing can lead to quick edge failure on softer steel.
    Last Grit was 800 or 1000.

Truing the Edge

Quote Originally Posted by Pensacola Tiger View Post
    Welcome to KKF, Alfreedo.

What angle are you setting on the Edge Pro? For optimal edge retention, your Wusthof knives should not be sharpened at less than 20 degrees, and a 25 degree micro bevel should be applied as well.

I would also suggest that you stop using the ceramic rod. A smooth steel is best for truing up a rolled edge without removing any metal.

Rick
    Before I got the ceramic rod, I used a Fischer diamond hone and before that the steel supplied by Wusthoff which is kind of serrated.

Quote Originally Posted by alfreedo View Post
    Before I got the ceramic rod, I used a Fischer diamond hone and before that the steel supplied by Wusthoff which is kind of serrated.
    All three of those rods are abrasive, and will remove the rolled edge instead of straightening it. For softer knives, like the Wüsthof, the Henkel and the Sabatier, a smooth, polished steel should be used to realign the edge without removing any material. Something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/F-Dick-Polishe.../dp/B00063QBI6

Rick
    All cats are libertarians. Completely dependent on others, but fully convinced of their own independence.

I sharpen mine (I use them as beaters) at a 15 back bevel and a 20 degree edge bevel, works pretty well. To keep them sharp I use a few passes with "fine grit" diafold

30 year old knives with lots of sharpening. Maybe thick behind the edge. How much pressure are you using with the ceramic rod?