Apply "lotion" to wa-handle?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

glestain

Reaction score
Is it true that you need to apply "lotion" to original wa-handle, to prevent it from crack? If yes, what to use?

No, a wa-handle will not crack if it is not treated with a "lotion", but many of us like to apply mineral oil or a mixture of mineral oil and beeswax to provide a bit of water repellency.

The name for the mix of bee's wax and mineral oil is "board butter" since it is also used on cutting boards.

What if the knife just keep in storage without use?
What do you use? Same as for the cutting board?

Where can you buy butter board

board butter is the best to protect from all types of stains or uncleanliness of the traditional Japanese handles? if so I think I need to do this, I neglect mine TOTALLY and should PROTECT them

I don't think tung oil is "food safe". May not be a consideration for most home cooks but I stick with food safe mineral oil and products based on it.

I've used the "butter" products from both Dave and David and have been happy with both. I've also needed it "right now" and have used Boos Butter from local culinary stores. It does well.

I don't think tung oil is "food safe".

I was researching this a while ago and I read tung oil was food safe. I'm not sure how reputable the source was I'll try find it again. I also Believe a few handle makers here use tung oil as far as I'm aware.

My personal favorite mix:
equal parts beeswax and tsubaki oil, heat on low to mix and store indefinitely, good for sayas too and super food safe. I don't like using mineral oil, flitz, etc anything potentially caustic on my cutlery.

I don't think tung oil is "food safe". May not be a consideration for most home cooks but I stick with food safe mineral oil and products based on it.

Tung oil is food safe, and has been used for centuries for kitchen items.

Here is the catch though, some products sold as "tung oil" also contain other stuff, like driers and solvents to facilitate the application or give some sheen. These are often not considered food safe. For anything in contact with food, I'd buy 100% pure tung oil. I get mine from Lee Valley, great stuff.

I use home made board butter. Wax and Miniral oil mix. Apply about 4 times a year.

I don't like using mineral oil, flitz, etc anything potentially caustic on my cutlery.

USP grade mineral oil is sold as an oral laxative. Are you asserting that it is caustic?

Here is the catch though, some products sold as "tung oil" also contain other stuff, like driers and solvents to facilitate the application or give some sheen. These are often not considered food safe.

I have heard this as well. I believe some "tung oil" doesn't even contain tung oil; it's entirely synthetic.

i use mineral oil since it has no fragrance, stable and food safe. Sometimes I just apply a bit of camellia oil when i oil the knife.

my favorite mix is:
1/3 mineral oil
1/3 beewax
1/3 coconut oil

I use them a lot in my woodworking projects, add a bit of vitamin E for my mother-in-law during winter :D

I recently accidentally got KY jelly on my knife handle, and I think it turned out pretty slick.

I've used the "butter" products from both Dave and David and have been happy with both. I've also needed it "right now" and have used Boos Butter from local culinary stores. It does well.

Tung oil is food safe, and has been used for centuries for kitchen items.

Here is the catch though, some products sold as "tung oil" also contain other stuff, like driers and solvents to facilitate the application or give some sheen. These are often not considered food safe. For anything in contact with food, I'd buy 100% pure tung oil. I get mine from Lee Valley, great stuff.

Tung oil in it's wet state i'm not sure how food safe it is but the thing with the kind i use is: it hardens after a couple of hours up to 24 hours and that makes it as food safe as any micarta, stabilized wood or any plastic handle. suitable for any non treated wood to make it more hard wearing and non-absorbing

I've been using that beeswax stuf also but it wears of to quick in my opinion

not for a really really long time and its naturally antibacterial. It is passed to me by a fellow woodworker here and I found it particular good for oil paste.

Latest posts

Back