Ancient Bog Oak Blocks Carbon Dated 3400 and 5460 Years Old

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Burl Source

Weird Wood Pusher
Reaction score
I just recently was able to get another batch of Ancient Bog Oak blocks from my friend in the Ukraine.
12 Natural (not stabilized) blocks have been posted in our web store in the Natural Hardwoods Section.
I have kept a small portion of the Bog Oak unstabilized by request. Some of this wood gets used to make high end tobacco pipes and others like to carve, texturize or rusticate the wood. These work best with unstabilized bog oak. For knife handle material you can use it either way. When stabilized it gets a bit denser and is easier to finish. I should be getting stabilized blocks back from K&G end of next month.
This is a photo of the Natural Bog Oak blocks that are in the store. In real life they are a couple shades darker. If you click on the photo it will take you to the store where these blocks are located. There the blocks are individually photographed with a photo black card as the background. The individual photos show the actual coloring of each block more accurately.

The blocks in this batch I just got are cut from several logs ranging in age from 2700 to 5400 years old. I have copies of the carbon dating reports for each log that the blocks were cut from.
These blocks have no flaws at all and are dry and ready to use. When I checked the moisture content the blocks ranged from 6 to 8% moisture content. Which is just right. The end grain is waxed and I have sanded and sealed the other surfaces with a light coat of aerosol spray lacquer. This is to prevent moisture from being absorbed into the blocks and to give a glimpse what the grain and figure will be like when you finish the wood.

All of the new blocks are cut quartersawn. Not only does this way of cutting produce more stable wood but being cut this way they can show rays and flecks on the faces of the blocks.
This is an old video to show what I am talking about.
[video=youtube_share;4m7uLlpmtnY]http://youtu.be/4m7uLlpmtnY[/video]

Back