Shimatani Yanagi, bent?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LKH9

Reaction score
I just received this Yanagi by Shimatani, from MetalMaster. My first ever Japanese knife. I'm not so happy with this. From what I read, curving like this is normal for single bevel laminated blades because high carbon steel will expand more than the soft iron after being quenched. And this will even continue over time. I've read some instances where a blade was sent for repair, and after it was shipped back to the owner, it bent back to the 'original' shape without even being touched.

So, can you people accept something like this?:dontknow:

A bit more than the specified 270mm.

you get what you pay for sometimes. ask for a refund or maybe an exchange.

I don't think this is something acceptable.

Wow, this is shocking. Send the photo to Takeshi and ask for a full refund.
I guess I was lucky when I got Shimatani yanagi and deba. They came in okay and quite enjoy using them.

That's quite the bend. I wouldn't accept it either.

- Steve

Takeshi will not leave you stranded, just be patient...get some e-mails going, eventually he responds. Don't file a paypal dispute prematurely. Give him a chance he's a good vendor, you just had some bad luck.

Ok, thanks for all the opinions. I'll ask for an exchange.

I do believe he's a good vendor from most peoples' opinion on him, I'm quite happy with his 100mm Higonokami though.

Holding it against the end of a wall might give you a better glimpse into blade geometry. The end of the box is quite narrow. Either way, I have a 360 which isn't perfectly dead straight but nowhere near as bad as your 270.

Cheers,

Rick

He replied me within 3 hours! He agrees to exchange it with a new knife without further questionings after seeing all those pictures. I expect 270mm to be perfectly dead straight, this is very disappointing.

His selling prices are the cheapest of all other vendors out there, other people sell the same items at much much higher price.

Yup...Takeshi is the man...If you like Tanaka knives he's got the best prices. Also most of the rustic knives are unbeatable for price performance. Also his house branded synthetic stones are pretty darn good.

Back