Steak Knife Suggestions?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rph123

Reaction score
Hey

I'm needing to buy a new set of steak knives. I cooked steaks last night for the first time since I've moved into my new house. I used my old cheap made in China college steak knives. They were way worse than I remember. It's time to upgrade. I've done some research and it seems like serrated is the way to go. I've also seen Wusthoff mentioned several times. I'm open for any suggestions. I don't really have budget. I just want a good cutting knife that will last.

Thanks

No budget? Contact Butch Harner; he'll make you a set of killer steak knives. Seriously, the cows will be dying to lay down on your plate just so they can be cut by one of those knives! :D

Do you sharpen your own knives? I would recommend not serrated as they will get dull eventually and perform just like your cheapo college ones. I'd recommend something a bit unorthodox, something like the opinel paring knife, misono fruit knife, or a cheap short petty like tojiro and you can get however many you need and have some multitasker knives on hand.

Do you sharpen your own knives? I would recommend not serrated as they will get dull eventually and perform just like your cheapo college ones. I'd recommend something a bit unorthodox, something like the opinel paring knife, misono fruit knife, or a cheap short petty like tojiro and you can get however many you need and have some multitasker knives on hand.

Totally agree here. Don't go serrated. IMO, serrated steak knives are a waste. You are just are better off with a sharp, non serrated knife. Korin has these if you want to go inexpensive http://korin.com/Fruit-Knife-with-Brown-Wooden-Cover I have a couple of these to use for travel knives or just for beaters. They have a decent OOTB edge and can get pretty sharp. They don't hold an edge for a real long time, but for a beater knife...it does not really matter. It's probably on the short side for a steak knife but would still do the job.

I'd recommend something a bit unorthodox, something like the opinel paring knife, misono fruit knife, or a cheap short petty like tojiro and you can get however many you need and have some multitasker knives on hand.

Talking of Opinel, I bought four of their colored steak knives at Christmas, and they punch well above their price point. These are the guys...

001532.jpg

They are a doddle to keep appropriately sharp on a ceramic rod. I got four wooden steak boards too, and I feel like we've moved up a notch in the steak eating world :laugh:

I see all four of them are overground ... I have the large European chef's knife and the small 10cm pettys and they all had the overgind. had to send the chef's knife back, the pettys I fixed myself on a stone and with a dremel (even the pettys had a bolster!?!)

I'm looking at picking up a couple Dexter Russell Green River steak knives. Simple design, fairly inexpensive and not serrated. The same blade is available as a blank from Jantz knife supply, but strangely you can get a complete knife for less.

I'm going to go against the collective here and actually recommend the Tramontina porterhouse serrated knives. I picked up a set of these when my husband and I first got married and they still cut beautifully 10 years later when I stupidly gave them away to get Wusthofs. In fact, i think I'll pick me up some while this sale is going on.

Could go Victorinox rosewood straight edged steak knives if you don't want serrated. Most people use them on glass plates, so you're likely to be sharpening constantly. Not the worst problem to have if you like sharpening as much as I do.

Would say though that serrated holds up better on the plates than do straight edge, and that's likely why you've heard that recommended. But they will cut worse from the start, and there's less you can do when they do eventually dull to get them back.

Still like my Warthers. A bit unusual looking but good steel and solid performance.

Stefan

I got a set of Tojiro F-797 steak knives. Someting that you can sharpen, yet quite cheap (if you get it at the right place).

I'd switch to a better cut of beef if I needed a knife sharper than a regular dinner knife to cut your steak. If you just have to have a really sharp knife then skip the so called "steak knives" which command a price premium and buy something like the 120mm Fujiwara FKM petty. You can also buy a Tojiro DP petty in the same size for a bit more.

Just got two folder Opinel 8's, took them to the stones, and had grilled pork chops for dinner. The look on my wife's face when cutting through her chop effortlessly was priceless. Obviously as a folding knife, it is unique to sit out for dinners. But for a grand total of like $30 shipped for two, you cannot beat it. Just great value there. Definitely going to be buying more.

Back