Mr. Sugai's apprentice Vincent

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Anyone have experience or knowledge of Vincent's skill level and sharpening expertise? I am ordering a knife and will request an initial western sharpening. But Mr. Sugai is gone until July. Should I wait?

They barely even give the little guy a break, he's constantly sharpening. Just when he thinks he's done, Mari dumps a big ol pile o knives next to his station again. I tried to sneak him a cookie once but we got caught and I was chased out of the store!!

Vincent has been sharpening knives for 3-4 years at Korin, and we check all of the knives after they have been sharpened. If you're more comfortable with the idea of having Mr. Sugai sharpen your knife however, there are definitely perks to placing an order in July. HINT HINT. :whistling:

They barely even give the little guy a break, he's constantly sharpening. Just when he thinks he's done, Mari dumps a big ol pile o knives next to his station again. I tried to sneak him a cookie once but we got caught and I was chased out of the store!!

LOLOL :D

Vincent sharpened a few of my knives last year and did an excellent job. He explained that Mr. Sugai does single bevel knives and he does the double bevel. Before Mr. Sugai allowed him to work on knives from paying customers he had to apprentice on a knife until he proved himself. This took months and the practice knife was a shadow of its former self. Even after that part of the apprenticeship, as Mari said, every one of his knives is checked.

It's a year and hundreds of knives later, so he's gotten better. Vincent is a great and humble guy who is developing into a first class sharpener.

yep. I requested Vincent to do my Vintage and antique knives and he does a great job.

I happened to be visiting NYC recently and stopped by to pick up a carbon sujihiki at the store. Vincent sharpened my new purchase on the spot and did a terrific job. He is quite capable of putting an excellent edge on your knives.

Back