Quantcast
New Steels - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Steels

Not saying your wrong but I honestly could no ever imagine that a knife edge could be prolonged 3-4 months in a pro enviroment. After about the 4th time stropping it starts the get diminishing returns and needs a bit of steel removed just a touch to keep it really sharp. Maybe this steel is the answer to everything though but I guess it depends on what people think is sharp enough to use at work.

Marko explain the left or right specific grind. BTW the more I use my lottery 240 mm knife in 52100 the more amazed I am. Great knife thanks again Marko!

Quote Originally Posted by jai View Post
    Not saying your wrong but I honestly could no ever imagine that a knife edge could be prolonged 3-4 months in a pro enviroment. After about the 4th time stropping it starts the get diminishing returns and needs a bit of steel removed just a touch to keep it really sharp. Maybe this steel is the answer to everything though but I guess it depends on what people think is sharp enough to use at work.
    Regular stropping on felt and diamond and occasional touch up on 8k diamond plate gets my 52100 through about 2 months in between sharpening in a pro kitchen. A2 has at least 30% more wear resistance, so I think it would not be unrealistic to expect the edge to last for 3+ months in between sharpening, with regular touch-ups on felt and 1M diamond and occasional touch up on the 8K plate. I admit, this is an estimate, but I don't think it's unrealistic one.

Now, we are talking about a working edge of 3-4K, not higher.

Choice of steel and a heat treatment tailored to maximize wear resistance while preserving edge stability is what accounts for the edge retention. I guess, the best way to convince you would have you try it yourself...

"If there’s something worth doing, it’s worth overdoing.” - An US saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by Marko Tsourkan View Post
    Regular stropping on felt and diamond and occasional touch up on 8k diamond plate gets my 52100 through about 2 months in between sharpening in a pro kitchen. A2 has at least 30% more wear resistance, so I think it would not be unrealistic to expect the edge to last for 3+ months in between sharpening, with regular touch-ups on felt and 1M diamond and occasional touch up on the 8K plate. I admit, this is an estimate, but I don't think it's unrealistic one.

Now, we are talking about a working edge of 3-4K, not higher.

Choice of steel and a heat treatment tailored to maximize wear resistance while preserving edge stability is what accounts for the edge retention. I guess, the best way to convince you would have you try it yourself...
    Would love to try and give you a feedback if you have a blade laying around , just saying Marko

Sent from my iPhone using Kitchen Knife Forum

Haha id love to try aswell how much for an express suji. But on topic I guess it depends what your using your knife for and how many shifts you do with it per week. And what level of sharpness your satisfied with. But yeah feel free to prove your point by sending me a suji ill pay for it.

Actually, the feedback (week and a half of pro kitchen use without stropping) came from an Aussie. I will continue picking his brain and report here. I got another knife in same steel out and will get out a few more, so there should be more feedback soon.

Unfortunately, I don't have capacity to make knives to send for pass around... Too far behind my custom work... I do, however, gather feedback on my first blades, and make changes for the subsequent blades. So far, I am pleased with the HT for the A2.

Folks are welcome to pass around their knives.

M

"If there’s something worth doing, it’s worth overdoing.” - An US saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com