Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

linecooklife

Reaction score
Hi guys,
New member here been reading the forums for a while wanted to start posting figured I'd introduce myself first.
My name is Jesse I'm a sous chef at a restaurant in western Massachusetts. Iv been into high end j- knives for a while. Started building my collection 5 or 6 years ago while I was catering. Back then it was harder to find and buy Japanese knives than it is now. But I was lucky enough to find the foodie forums knife threads and was blown away by the knowledge of the posters. And even more surprised at their willingness and passion not just for their knives but for sharing what they knew and helping young upstarts like myself.
My first post was a typical "just got my first j knife" naive young culinary student who "sharpens" with a honing rod. I was of course immediately torn apart (all be it patiently and respectfully) by the forum members, on the importance of free hand sharpening. And as these things tend to go this snowballed into a full on obsession and an expensive one at that. I spent hours and hours reading past threads and posting any questions that I couldn't find answered there. Questions that were almost instantly answered by KCMA and some of the other experts who seemed to know everything there was to know on any subject I was curious about.
So over several years of this I ended up with a respectable knife roll and some much improved sharpening and knife skills (I was and still am obsessed with chive shaving) and I have to say iv gotten pretty damn good at it. At any rate I got out of catering and fell into restaurant line cooking, and subsequently lost my free time and my despicable income that was fueling my hobby. So I fell out of touch with the forums.
But I'm back, and was so happy to find this place and to see that like minded enthusiasts are still passionate about sharing and educating. Anyways I'm glad to be here and to see some familiar faces and look forward to posting some pics and some questions

- Jesse

Welcome back hope your income has improved otherwise stay away from the bst section .its a botomless pit

Thanks for the kind welcome guys. My income has improved (hence my reappearance) I'll try to avoid bst as much as I can, although I can't help but drool over all of you folks amazing collections and fight the urge to just buy a ton of knives. It is truly amazing to me to see how far the Japanese knife culture in America has come since I started out. Back then options were much more limited and customer service (unless you spoke japanese) was non-existent. Back then the two "laser" guyto options were the tadatsuna and the susin and you couldn't get an aritsugu unless you knew someone in japan. Anyways I'm happy to see how far things have come and the amazing new options. Mostly I'm looking to tweak my existing kit a bit pick up a few blades to fill some of my new needs as my prep changes. And also add/ replace a few stones in my line up as iv almost worn threw a few.

Back