Thread: Advice Stainless Yanagi

Advice Stainless Yanagi

Has anyone here actually put a stainless (or semi-stainless, maybe) yanagi to the test in a pro kitchen? If so, I'd like to know how these perform. Thanks!

I have a ginsanko Korin branded one. It is actually a pretty good knife. Its tough and sharpens up well. If one was looking for a stainless yanagi, I would recommend it. I have an Usuba from that line as well and I love it.

I'm pretty sure this came up once before, at FF. if I remember correctly, KC mentioned ginsanko, and said it would be the only stainless he'd ever use for a yanagi...or something along those lines.
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

I believe Marko might take requests for these once he is up and running.
    "God sends meat and the devil sends cooks." - Thomas Deloney

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyChance View Post
    I believe Marko might take requests for these once he is up and running.
    I am exploring several steels with Devin that would be suitable for commercial kitchen, in san mai and monosteel construction.

For myself, personally, I will make one in 52100. I find it much more rust resistant than Japanese steels (particularly the soft cladding on Japanese knvies), and I find sharpness on 52100 is comparable to Japanese steels.
    Perhaps, there will be an option to use 52100 as core steel with stainless clad at some point too.

Making a full length single-bevel knife like yanagi will be interesting, from heat-treating to grinding and finishing.

M

"All beauty that has no foundation in use, soon grows distasteful and needs continuous replacement with something new." The Shakers' saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

i have often played with the thouhgt of a cpm SS single bevel but the warping woudl be tricky to deal with and as you ground the blade it woudl move even more on you