Advice Stainless Yanagi

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tk59

Founding Member
Reaction score
Has anyone here actually put a stainless (or semi-stainless, maybe) yanagi to the test in a pro kitchen? If so, I'd like to know how these perform. Thanks!

I have a ginsanko Korin branded one. It is actually a pretty good knife. Its tough and sharpens up well. If one was looking for a stainless yanagi, I would recommend it. I have an Usuba from that line as well and I love it.

I'm pretty sure this came up once before, at FF. if I remember correctly, KC mentioned ginsanko, and said it would be the only stainless he'd ever use for a yanagi...or something along those lines.

I believe Marko might take requests for these once he is up and running.

I believe Marko might take requests for these once he is up and running.

I am exploring several steels with Devin that would be suitable for commercial kitchen, in san mai and monosteel construction.

For myself, personally, I will make one in 52100. I find it much more rust resistant than Japanese steels (particularly the soft cladding on Japanese knvies), and I find sharpness on 52100 is comparable to Japanese steels.
Perhaps, there will be an option to use 52100 as core steel with stainless clad at some point too.

Making a full length single-bevel knife like yanagi will be interesting, from heat-treating to grinding and finishing.

M

i have often played with the thouhgt of a cpm SS single bevel but the warping woudl be tricky to deal with and as you ground the blade it woudl move even more on you

Back