White steel gyutos or petty that don't break the bank?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Umberto

Banned
Reaction score
Any suggestions of rustic white steel knives that aren't too expensive. I don't care for fancy handles. I'll polish the blades to my liking. I've been using a Masakage white #2 and have been impressed how the edge cuts with just a little paper stropping. That's obviously not a cheap knife but is there a maker of white steel knives in the lower price bracket?

I'm not interested in Tojiro or Yamashin. Those two are the only ones I've been able to find so far.

Carter small Kurouchi Funayuki with standard handle; sub-par F/F but one of the best white steel I've tried.

That is assuming you can actually find a Carter at that price in stock. I think those tend to disappear real quick.

I think Maksims Itonomonn are very close to White steel in the way they "behave". But I know its Takefu V2 :) I have the Kasumi with western handle and a Masakage Yuki aswell. I think they get equally sharp but the Itonomonn has better edgeretension and it is basicly a MUCH better cutter than the Yuki. OK - no more hijacking your White steel thread :))
-Kim

These Fujiwara Teruyasu pettys seem an incredible value right now. About $53 for a 135mm Nashiji.

Gesshin Ginga line from Jon @ JapaneseKnifeImports would be your best starting point. From there you have a few pivots in terms of $ up and down for a shiro1/2 core. The ginga is a nice cutting laser shiro 2 which imo would be more than enough for 95% of most jobs in a professional kitchen.

These Fujiwara Teruyasu pettys seem an incredible value right now. About $53 for a 135mm Nashiji.

I've been reading about the Gyuto version of this all day and found a 240 on close out at ck2g. If I identify myself as an intermediate home cook is this knife going to be "too much" for me? I'm someone who is looking to leave the world of Shun behind and enjoy carbon blades. Also, about how long will the edge on white #1 steel last cooking 5 nights a week? I think an edge pro is in the works for sure, but most likely after the holidays.

If you can manage to find one, for the gyuto, I say Konosuke Fujiyama, 100%. They are my favourite Japanese knife by a mile. For petty, I say Carter Funy.

Just noticed this is a zombie thread... Meh. I still stick with what I said.

Terayasu Fujiwara is a fantastic knife for the price. What I was told form a local dealer is that TF usually shorts on the handles to make the blades more affordable. I have 2 gyutos and one handle was an octagonal ho handle which was surprisingly nice.

The blade is fantastic. The maboroshi is more refined with the spine being ground smooth. The nashiji is nice in its own right. It's a little more rustic with the exposed unfinished spine. Both are White , #1 i believe, clad in stainless. Fantastic knives

Back