Inspection of new knife

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

glestain

Reaction score
Can't find related thread.
Any criteria to inspect a new reveive knife? And how you check?

I'm not sure what you're asking.

Most damage or defects should be quite obvious from a quick visual check.

With regards to the performance of the knife; if you're looking for criteria with which to assess (edge retention, sticking, wedging, etc) it's maybe best to look at a few reviews to see which aspects were discussed.

I see what i am missing here.
If you see when they forge the knife up to certain stage, they always holding the knife in one way and eye-ball the blade. I think it is for straightness?
Pepole say Fit and finish. So what are f&f are we looking for?

gaps/cracks in the handle, scales, pins and tang are flush with the handle, choil roundness, and edge straightness are things I look for

Run a straight edge up and down the sides to check for "holes"

How about the corner of the hagane which is nearby the machi? Does it matter it is flat or "rounded"?
How do you know the knife is installed properly, meaning it is installed straight? Or the knife is design tilt a little bit?

How about the corner of the hagane which is nearby the machi? Does it matter it is flat or "rounded"?
How do you know the knife is installed properly, meaning it is installed straight? Or the knife is design tilt a little bit?
difficult to understand this last post.

-Hagane refers to hard core steel thereby making its location throughout the knife (in the core) of all clad knives

-Handle installation can vary, but ideally, you want the knife to exit from the handle in a straight manner and not be mounted with a twisting offset relative to the handle (though this is common and can be seen often). Some makers prefer to mount deeper, others less deep. Some prefer to mount with the tip a bit higher relative to the handle, others lower, and some even. There is quite a bit of personal preference involved. Also, most examples of the offset mounting (twisted relative to the handle) dont effect performance in any way.

I see.
I mean the edge/corner of the blade which is near to the handle. I can't find the term in google.

I thought all the knife have to mounted straight. When I inspect my new bought knife, I notice it is not parallel to the handle. Thanks for your info.

At the end of the day its about what matters to you everyone has different standards and different expectations what some people notice other people wont. There isnt a correct way if it looks and feels well made it probably is and if it looks like a POS it probably is.

At the end of the day its about what matters to you everyone has different standards and different expectations what some people notice other people wont. There isnt a correct way if it looks and feels well made it probably is and if it looks like a POS it probably is.

Exactly, ergonomics and performance has more to do with how the tool fits and feels in YOUR hands.

Exactly, ergonomics and performance has more to do with how the tool fits and feels in YOUR hands.

This is not correct. There are certain universal standards that any knife should meet, regardless of price, e.g. blade not warped or bent, scales or handles properly installed, steel properly heat treated so that it does not any serious steel flaws, large scratches, very sharp spine or choil, etc.

Granted, cheaper knives won't have the fit and finish of nicer knives, but no knife should ever be bent. Period.

Back