Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: PayPal Alternatives

My siblings and I have used Amazon in the past, it works really well, and it would seem most people already have Amazon accounts, just not linked to their bank accounts. If I remember right, I think it is a monetarily free service, you just have to give them your soul.

I ddn't eve know amazon had a personal payments feature. I just signed up, it was relatively painless.
    "Experience" is what you get when you don't get what you want.

Ah, but Amazon already has my soul Well for now, that seems like a winner. Just sold a knife today using it. Seems like it was a quick signup for the buyer and I got the money without fees deducted and it's already being auto-deposited to my bank account. Literally, I just logged into my bank account and I see that the deposit is pending. That is just CRAZY!

No doubt, it is the same idea banks use, the more stuff they can get you to sign up for the less chance you will leave. If your mortgage, direct dep, bill pay, cc everything is at one bank, it is a PITA to leave, so you don't.

Same with Amazon, the more they can get you to sign up for the less chance you have of shopping elsewhere. Kindle, streaming video, paypal type services, shopping, why leave? Plus, if you have a linked bank account why use a credit card for purchases, saves them mondo on merchant fees.

I am glad it the transaction worked out for you!

And I am an Amazon user and supporter, lol. But I recognize the devil when I see it.

There are a couple of things about PayPal that really frost me.

First, PayPal claims that they make "instant payments." Well, yeah, when you make a payment, PayPal gets an instant electronic transfer from the you. However, rather than making an instant electronic transfer to the payee, they hang onto the money for "3 to 4" BUSINESS days before releasing the funds to the payee. The only way the payee gets "instant" access to their money is to use a PayPal debit card - which allows PayPay to earn additional fees every time the debit card is used.

Second, PayPal can arbitrarily flag any transaction as "suspicious" and hold the funds until positive feedback has been left. For example, a while back I sold a rather large, heavy (40 lbs) piece of electronic gear on ebray. Turns out that the buyer was in Australia. The item sold for ~$350 and it cost about another $350 to ship it to Australia. The buyer made an instant PayPal payment for the purchase price plus the shipping charges. PayPal, however, flagged it as a suspicious transaction and put a hold on my money. I had to go $350 out-of-pocket to ship the item to Australia and PayPal did not release the purchaser's "instant payment" to me until the item was received in Australia & the buyer had left positive feedback.

If I can avoid it, I will never patronize PayPal again.

James

Senior Member/ Internet Hooligan
    I've been less than thrilled with PayPal as of late myself. I upgraded my account from Personal to Premier and was tagged with their "Know Your Customer" thing, which basically limited my account until I could take photos / scans of my driver's license, social security card, and a recent utility statement. As someone who just moved into a house a week and a half ago, I have no current utility statements; my dog, anxious about the move, ate my wallet including my driver's license. I had a social security card, but was less than thrilled to take a freaking photograph of it and upload it to the internet. Lol.

The situation worked itself out, but it was still a pain in the rear.

My problem with paypal is that your customers have to get an account with some outside party and give them all their sensitive info, and it makes people like me say "Oh, paypal? Nah. I didn't really need to buy it anyways." Paypal is not a government, and there are no laws protecting your privacy from corporations like Paypal. When they get your info, you are trusting them to not do whatever they please with it.

They blocked one of mine accounts permanently just because the country I registered it isnt the same I live in. Just like its medieval and I have to stick to my parents farm.
    And its them who makes internet transfers!