Santoku for dad

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TurdMuffin

Reaction score
So a while back my dad had a chance to us my 240mm Richmond Artifex Gytuo. He's never used any form of decent knife so he was blown away at how much more easily it sliced through food. I'd like to get him something that offers similar, or better performance. He said though he wishes is was about 3" shorter.

USA

KNIFE TYPE
What type of knife are you interested in (e.g., chef’s knife, slicer, boning knife, utility knife, bread knife, paring knife, cleaver)?

santoku, or maybe gyuto, but i want it to be 170-180mm

Are you right or left handed?
right

Are you interested in a Western handle (e.g., classic Wusthof handle) or Japanese handle?
I think he'd prefer western because that's all he's ever used

What length of knife (blade) are you interested in (in inches or millimeters)?
170-180

Do you require a stainless knife? (Yes or no)
not strictly reuired but preferred. I got my mother a utility knifein 1095 and she didnt take care of it well and it rusted. I think i could convince him to take care of it but I'd prefer stailess

What is your absolute maximum budget for your knife?
absolute maximum is 100 but i'd prefer 75ish

KNIFE USE
Do you primarily intend to use this knife at home or a professional environment?
Home

What are the main tasks you primarily intend to use the knife for (e.g., slicing vegetables, chopping vegetables, mincing vegetables, slicing meats, cutting down poultry, breaking poultry bones, filleting fish, trimming meats, etc.)? (Please identify as many tasks as you would like.)
mostly slicing and chopping veggies, maybe a little trimming of raw beef but thats about it.

What knife, if any, are you replacing?
"the aero knife", but none really, it would be an addition

Do you have a particular grip that you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for the common types of grips.)
I'm pretty sure he uses hammer but i've been trying to teach him pinch

What cutting motions do you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for types of cutting motions and identify the two or three most common cutting motions, in order of most used to least used.)
push, slice, chop

What improvements do you want from your current knife? If you are not replacing a knife, please identify as many characteristics identified below in parentheses that you would like this knife to have.)

Better aesthetics (e.g., a certain type of finish; layered/Damascus or other pattern of steel; different handle color/pattern/shape/wood; better scratch resistance; better stain resistance)?

Comfort (e.g., lighter/heavier knife; better handle material; better handle shape; rounded spine/choil of the knife; improved balance)?

Ease of Use (e.g., ability to use the knife right out of the box; smoother rock chopping, push cutting, or slicing motion; less wedging; better food release; less reactivity with food; easier to sharpen)?

Edge Retention (i.e., length of time you want the edge to last without sharpening)?

good edge retention, but not a bear to sharpen (I'll be doing the sharpening), easy travel through the food, food release isn't ahuge factor but good food releasewould be nice. Aesthetics arent an issue.

KNIFE MAINTENANCE
Do you use a bamboo, wood, rubber, or synthetic cutting board? (Yes or no.)
mix of bamboo and synthetic

Do you sharpen your own knives? (Yes or no.)
yes

If not, are you interested in learning how to sharpen your knives? (Yes or no.)

Are you interested in purchasing sharpening products for your knives? (Yes or no.)

SPECIAL REQUESTS/COMMENTS

right now I'm looking at this Tojiro DP santoku, from what I saw in another thread it seems to be a good deal at 69.99. If you guys have any other suggestions let me know. Thanks!

http://www.cutleryandmore.com/tojiro-dp/santoku-knife-p129566

I have the Tojiro DP 180 Gyoto and like it. I would rather have this style than a Santoku.

I have the Tojiro DP 180 Gyoto and like it. I would rather have this style than a Santoku.

I was considering that, but because it'll mostly be veg work, and i've neversee him rock i figured the santokuwould be better.

How about a Hiromoto in G3? It's around your budget.
http://www.japanesechefsknife.com/Page4.html#GingamiNo.3

I'll definitely look into that one. I have no experience with G3 though. I know G2 is a good steel but I'm unfamiliar with G3.

If you.can stretch the budget a little, the Hiromoto AS 190 Santoku from JCK has everything you need. The core steel (Aogami Super) takes an excellent edge and holds it longer than most. It is stainless clad, so is easy to care for. It's a western handle, so is comfortable for hammer and pinch grip.

I have one and it is an excellent all rounder.

Cheers :thumbsup:

J

This forum is kind of anti-santoku but I wouldn't let that discourage you. Consider a Tadafusa SLD:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/231214870984 should get into your budget and should be a very decent knife without too much maintenance.

If you.can stretch the budget a little, the Hiromoto AS 190 Santoku from JCK has everything you need. The core steel (Aogami Super) takes an excellent edge and holds it longer than most. It is stainless clad, so is easy to care for. It's a western handle, so is comfortable for hammer and pinch grip.

I have one and it is an excellent all rounder.

Cheers :thumbsup:

J
I'll second that!

I've got to be pretty firm on the budget. Even going to 100 would be a big stretch right now so I gotta keep it under that.

Back