Quantcast
home line knife suggestion
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: home line knife suggestion

home line knife suggestion

Dear all,

I friend of mine is looking for 3 knifes for home environment stainless steel, he is new to the knife world.

He'll need a chef knife (210) a slicing (roastbeef) and a petty (80-130), he sow some zwilling, wmf , whustof some global (maybe to expensive) and have no idea of which to choose.

He just don't want to waste his money on a knife which doesn't perform very well.

Any suggestion or anyone have something up for sale ?

Regards,

Andrea

You're probably gonna hear this a lot, but the quickest and easiest recommendation on any forum is:

Gyuto: 210 to 240mm, depending on kitchen size. Popular recommendations include the Fujiwara FKH and Tojiro DP

Petty: My honest opinion is if you're dealing with a 210 gyuto, you don't really need a long petty, since 210's are nimble enough to carve a chicken or fillet a fish. The best fit for a neutral hand knife that could do some minor board work would probably be the Misono fruit knife.

Slicing: The popular and easy choice is a scalloped serrated bread knife. Does bread pretty darn well, but will carve a roast beef or pork loin quite nicely. For that you have the Mac SB-105 or Tojiro's offering.

I would say these are your "no-nonsense" choices that will fit pretty much anyone. There are of course, other choices like a Chinese cleaver or a honesuki, but honestly, that's probably a whole other bag of worms you don't want to get into unless you're real interested.

Thanks for your replay I will explain it to my friend but I don't think he will understand a lot also because he is looking in the commercial knife. I'll tell him to search them in internet, or I'll try to make a post in the BST.

If I find it I would like to give him as wedding gift a semi stainless gyuto.

Many thanks

Andrea

My pleasure. If he's looking for places to find these knives, send him to Japanese Chef Knives or Korin.
    Last edited by MrBoogs; 06-19-2014 at 02:53 AM. Reason: Mistype of link

+ Reply to Thread