Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: katana, Japanese sword

katana, Japanese sword

Anyone know anything about katana swords? I'm looking for something around $75 that's not a complete piece of junk. To be used as a display and cutting watermellons and the like in half.
    "Too much of anything is bad, but too much good whiskey is barely enough." —Mark Twain

At that price point you are still in the "piece of junk" range unfortunately... Why a Katana might i ask? - the CCK watermelon knife is pretty close to your price if your after a bada$$ melon chopper??

who wouldn't want a katana? i think the melon is for demos.

The Cold Steel "sword style" machetes are really good for the money but they are light years from traditional.

I too a katana. Actually, if I keep wanting, I will have to eventually make one. I already know a blacksmith who I can learn from, but this project is years away.

"All beauty that has no foundation in use, soon grows distasteful and needs continuous replacement with something new." The Shakers' saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by Marko Tsourkan View Post
    I too a katana. Actually, if I keep wanting, I will have to eventually make one. I already know a blacksmith who I can learn from, but this project is years away.
    hmm, an s grind katana, would be interesting to see a demo of that.

Quote Originally Posted by rami_m View Post
    hmm, an s grind katana, would be interesting to see a demo of that.
    Actually, it is mostly forged to shape and then shaped with scrapers and stones if done traditionally. Very labor intensive process. I will probably take a shortcut and do the scrapers' part on a grinder, but forging and stone finished will stay unchanged.

"All beauty that has no foundation in use, soon grows distasteful and needs continuous replacement with something new." The Shakers' saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

ECG 2015

Starting this harvest I'm a starving startling artist/
    Lyrical arsonist it's arduous spitting this smartest arsenic/

At $75, it's worst than a toy if you want to do some real cutting, the handle is just a welded rat-tail. It's downright dangerous to the wielder! See how they are made here.

I only know that modern products like 1055 Cold Steel are way more tougher than the traditional, differentially hardened katana, and is like 10 times cheaper.

If you get a Cold Steel sword you can also pierce the hood of a car. If you want.