Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: katana, Japanese sword

Quote Originally Posted by mano View Post
    Please help because he won't make any more sword videos until he gets another one.
    You mean - you want your son to continue trying to cut off his finger?

Quote Originally Posted by Matus View Post
    I'm pretty sure that was a joke.

Quote Originally Posted by Matus View Post
    Spooner (his given name is Shecky) and I have a dysfunctional relationship. I'm just holding up my end.
    "Too much of anything is bad, but too much good whiskey is barely enough." —Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by ThEoRy View Post
    ECG 2015

So that is your demo next year at my house? Do I need to have you sign a waiver? LOL

There's that dry wit I was speaking with you about...
    Starting this harvest I'm a starving startling artist/
    Lyrical arsonist it's arduous spitting this smartest arsenic/

Quote Originally Posted by Mingooch View Post
    So that is your demo next year at my house? Do I need to have you sign a waiver? LOL
    Nah, I'm not stupid.

So dope, I even accidentally make smiley faces on that *****.

Starting this harvest I'm a starving startling artist/
    Lyrical arsonist it's arduous spitting this smartest arsenic/

Authentic Katana is only for collection, way too expensive to be used for real! And too rough handling will bend and chip the blade, as in Japanese kitchen knives, since they are made from the same stuff and technique.

Quote Originally Posted by LKH9 View Post
    Authentic Katana is only for collection, way too expensive to be used for real! And too rough handling will bend and chip the blade, as in Japanese kitchen knives, since they are made from the same stuff and technique.
    Actually the construction and the materials of katana is quite different than kitchen knives . In forged kitchen knives you will see sanmai: core steel wrapped in soft cladding or honyaki : monosteel differential heat treated. Real Katana will have a hard steel on the outside for cutting edge and softer steel in the center to give toughness and flexibility . There is many variations of it but this is the most common version. The steel used for katana is tamagahane which will not be used in kitchen knives .Only similarity I see with kitchen knives is hamon like you will see in honyaki blades

Sent from my iPhone using Kitchen Knife Forum

Quote Originally Posted by chefcomesback View Post
    Actually the construction and the materials of katana is quite different than kitchen knives . In forged kitchen knives you will see sanmai: core steel wrapped in soft cladding or honyaki : monosteel differential heat treated. Real Katana will have a hard steel on the outside for cutting edge and softer steel in the center to give toughness and flexibility . There is many variations of it but this is the most common version. The steel used for katana is tamagahane which will not be used in kitchen knives .Only similarity I see with kitchen knives is hamon like you will see in honyaki blades
    The only thing lacking in laminated kitchen knife is the differential hardening, honyaki aside.

The construction method is totally the same, weld the 2 different metals together and hammer out the shape, just different design for cutting food. Tamahagane, compared to modern steel is pretty much crap. I believe they were like Hitachi SK steel in quality or even worse, just not as pure as the modern white / blue paper steel. Ancient Japan was very poor, they had to fold the poor piece of metal to get the elements well-distributed, and sparks are seen all over the white hot Tamahagane, indication of high impurities.

San-mai or "hard-steel wrapped around soft core" or not, the blade will get bent when being abused too hard( like chopping through very thick and hard objects, like those tests in Cold Steel videos) Traditional Japanese sword is not flexible at all, once bent, it's bent and you will need a master craftsman to fix, it's just more resistant to shattering. The only good thing is the edge retention. Japanese never temper the blades to spring.

Tamahagane is not as legendary as most people think.

sparks are actually not a function of impurities, but in the case of forging, they are due to overheating, and are often an indicator of carbon content. There are numerous papers by PhD metallurgists on sparks and their relation to understanding steel, but for what its worth, its quite easy to tell general steel types based on sparks... i.e. white steel vs blue steel vs v2 vs ginsanko, etc.