Quantcast
katana, Japanese sword - Page 5
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: katana, Japanese sword

Stuart Branson in Canada has been doing some Asian style blades that are pretty impressive.
    Not sure what his current pricing is, but he has always done very nice work at prices I thought were considerably lower than they could be.
    This was his first Katana.

Mark Farley / It's a Burl
    Phone 541-592-5071, Email burlsource@gmail.com
    Visit our web store

I would second the CCK watermelon knife on Chinese Chef Mall. 14" wood handle 72.12. The right tool for the job. I would use my 270mm Gyuto to peel & cut up watermelon for banquet fruit salad.

Jesus Hernandez makes nice swords. He is really into Tameshigiri targets. Straw Tatami Omoto mats. He forges his target swords out of a bar of W2 carbon steel with differential heat treatment. W2 makes for some very nice Hamons. He not only forges the blades, he crafts all of the parts including the saya's.

Quote Originally Posted by keithsaltydog View Post
    Jesus Hernandez makes nice swords. He is really into Tameshigiri targets. Straw Tatami Omoto mats. He forges his target swords out of a bar of W2 carbon steel with differential heat treatment. W2 makes for some very nice Hamons. He not only forges the blades, he crafts all of the parts including the saya's.
    Jesus Hernandez does make some excellent pieces, I have one of his tsuba which is very nicely made and was priced very reasonably.

Incidentally, I also have a tsuba from a gentleman who Bob Kramer studied metalworking techniques from earlier this year.

I guess it's a small world.

You know, I am getting flashbacks of when I was a little boy. I always wanted a samurai sword. I don't have the need for it, and would likely hurt myself. But boy do I get a pang thinking about it.

Quote Originally Posted by MAS4T0 View Post
    Jesus Hernandez does make some excellent pieces, I have one of his tsuba which is very nicely made and was priced very reasonably.

Incidentally, I also have a tsuba from a gentleman who Bob Kramer studied metalworking techniques from earlier this year.

I guess it's a small world.
    Hello Mas I found our about Jesus Hernandez through a forum knife maker Pierre Rodrigue. Hernandez made me one of his Tameshigiri target katana's with black leather tsuka. On his site under Katana is a series of pictures of the blade. It is the Bamboo Leaves Katana with Red laquer saya painted bamboo.

My other real sword is a Muromachi period Wakizashi (short sword) forged in the 1490's. I am just a steward of this blade, just wipe polish & lighty oil that's it. The Hawaii Japanese Sword Society guys have some truly stunning blades as far back as the Heian periods Jogan and Fujiwara. Kamakura.

They had An Exhibit Of Japanese Swords at the Soto Mission here couple years ago. That got me hooked.

My other real sword is a Muromachi period Wakizashi (short sword) forged in the 1490's.
    How much was that Wakizashi?

Just received a Cold Steel 1917 style cutlass machete today. Other than the blade pattern, no where near historically accurate to any thing but I think it is the best cheap "sword" you are going to find.