Been a while since I was this nervous

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Burl Source

Weird Wood Pusher
Reaction score
Ok, I take that back. I don't think I have ever been this nervous about cutting a piece of wood.
The photo shows the rough cut slab but it is difficult to see what is in the photo.
I have cut lots and lots of rare and very expensive woods, but this piece impresses me more than anything I have ever seen. Now I have to cut it up so it shows itself to it's full potential.
So, I am going to look at it a while. Then I will sketch how I think I should cut it. Then I will start cutting.
rwb001_zpsc6630da8.jpg

I get it Mark. Take your time. I usually sketch it out and divide it up a number of different ways. I also use a cut-out to move over the slab so I can see potential pieces. Look who I'm giving advice to. You probably were doing this when I was still in diapers:D

Mark, Just send it to me and then you dont have to sweat it. Probably 1/3 of it will end up here anyways! :)

These are some photos I took while cutting.
This is the back side of the slab. There is a soft portion in the center of the slab that I will be trimming away.
2_zpsa4f58a75.jpg

I had started to mark out some cut lines but I changed my mind and decided to make the 1st cut right through the center of the soft spot. That way I can see how deep it goes.
4_zps426b2c9a.jpg

Looking at the edge of the 1st cut I see it goes about 1/3 of the thickness. Now I can plan on what will need to be trimmed away.
5_zpsb51be969.jpg

Then I set the fence to cut a strip the width of the soft area on this half of the slab.
7_zps9f9348b1.jpg

Then I took that strip and turned it on edge so I could cut off the soft portion.
8_zps918f417d.jpg

Last I cut the rest of the slab portion into strips cutting away any flaws I could see. This is what I got from the 1st half.
9_zps4450b138.jpg

Next I will need to cut some of the strips to length and get them sanded.

Tomorrow I will price these and list them in the store.
To be fair to everyone I can not hold out or presell any of the blocks.
There have been more calls and messages than there are blocks cut so far.

But, if you want me to let you know as soon as they are listed, I can do that.
Just send me an email ([email protected]) and put Rosewood Burl in the subject line. Then I can send you an email within minutes of posting them in the store.
As for pricing, they will cost more than other types of burl but less than ivory.

rwbb001_zpsa3a84172.jpg

I have this batch of Rosewood Burl posted to our web store. They should show up in the store right at 12:30 PST. Easiest way to find them is in the Natural Wood section under Rosewood.
http://www.burlsource.us/servlet/th...Chemically-Stabilized-cln-Rosewood/Categories
Just a warning; when you select a piece you will want to check out right away. The way the store software works is the piece will show in inventory until someone completes check out. If more than one person have the same piece in their shopping cart it will go to whoever completes check out first.
I never know whether these pieces will sell quickly or sit around for a while. The last couple batches of very good Rosewood burl went away quickly. If you are unable to get one of these I will be cutting up the rest of this wood tomorrow and can send another email when they are ready as well.
Thank You, Mark

There are a few shorts in the store right now and likely will be more when I cut the rest.

Really beautiful stuff Mark. Glad I got to snag a block, it's not every day that this comes around.

- Steve

Back