good (!) alternativ designs

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

banjo1071

Reaction score
Hi everyone
Since the biggest part of my collection consist of classical designs (gyuto, nakiri etc) i am looking for maker with indidual, yet practical designs. I recently aquired a Herder K2, a hasslinger (very good knife btw) and have a Zkramer on the way. Maybe you guy could give me hints, what makers with individual style, yet good quality and usabilty can be recommended....

Thanks
Benjamin

If you aren't afraid of high price, then I can recommend you Russian knifemaker Prokopenkoff. His knives are very different from most Japanese and US made customs knives in the following areas:

• use of softer steel (the philosophy behind this decision is to allow easy resharpening of knife with steeling. Prokopenkoff knows that you can't find any whetstones on most Russian kitchens, so he tried to come up with solution that would result in good cutting performance and ease of resharpening)
  • zoning (aka wicked distal taper)

What a fitting name! And he works with böhler n690, thats a great, great steel!

Tuuts knife from Tonu: http://arrak-knives.edicypages.com/news I have not bought one, but was in contact with KKF memeber who had one and was very happy with it. Here is some more information (based on my communication with Tonu):

You can have Tuuts with two blade lenghts:
Small is with 185 mm blade and longer is with 210 mm blade.
The handle is from brass, corian and teak.
Blade is made from Niolox or SB1 stainless steel. Hardened to appr. 60 HRC.
It holds the edge very well. I have tested it in proffessional kitchens and it lasts week or two without sharpening. Allthough it's not prone to chipping, the edge is very thin and thus needs a sensible approach. You can cut a chicken in half with one push and no harms to blade.
What comes to flexibility.
Blade is made from 2.2 mm steel sheet. Only on the one side is a hollow grind and the rest of the body is uniformly 2.2 mm thick. So, the very tip is flexible but the main body is relatively stiff.
Prices are 200 eur for smaller and 220 eur for longer one.

Very cool knife IMO :)

Back