Struggling with decision, need to buy knife ASAP

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

srideout

Reaction score

KNIFE TYPE
What type of knife are you interested in (e.g., chef’s knife, slicer, boning knife, utility knife, bread knife, paring knife, cleaver)?

Gyuto

Are you right or left handed?

Right.

Are you interested in a Western handle (e.g., classic Wusthof handle) or Japanese handle?

Japanese, preferably octagon.

What length of knife (blade) are you interested in (in inches or millimetres)?

240mm

Do you require a stainless knife? (Yes or no)

NO

What is your absolute maximum budget for your knife?

~$250

KNIFE USE
Do you primarily intend to use this knife at home or a professional environment?

Professional.

What are the main tasks you primarily intend to use the knife for (e.g., slicing vegetables, chopping vegetables, mincing vegetables, slicing meats, cutting down poultry, breaking poultry bones, filleting fish, trimming meats, etc.)? (Please identify as many tasks as you would like.)

Veg prep, light meat cutting.

What knife, if any, are you replacing?

Shun 10" Classic

Do you have a particular grip that you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for the common types of grips.)

Pinch

What cutting motions do you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for types of cutting motions and identify the two or three most common cutting motions, in order of most used to least used.)

Rock, push, slice.

What improvements do you want from your current knife? If you are not replacing a knife, please identify as many characteristics identified below in parentheses that you would like this knife to have.)

Nothing too fancy or polished, octagonal handle, good balance. SHARPER than my Shun, less wedging, better food release.

KNIFE MAINTENANCE
Do you use a bamboo, wood, rubber, or synthetic cutting board? YES

Do you sharpen your own knives? NO

If not, are you interested in learning how to sharpen your knives? YES, will learn very soon.

Are you interested in purchasing sharpening products for your knives? YES, will be purchasing ASAP.

SPECIAL REQUESTS/COMMENTS

I'm in Toronto, something I could get locally or have shipped ASAP would be great, but not essential (The two shops we have in the city are Tosho and KNIFE). I am currently in culinary school and have an interview for my first kitchen job tomorrow. I also have someone buying my Shun tomorrow, thus the reason I'll need to replace it ASAP. I've only had the Shun for about 6 months, didn't fall in love with it like I wanted to, now I'm here.

Welcome!

Well, since you have Tosho close, the best would be to give them a call or even better - visit them personally. They should be able to advice you.

From their repertoire I would look at Konosuke HD2 - either with the HO wood octagonal handle, or with a D-shaped handle from rosewood (which seems to be on sale). It is within your price range, it is semi stainless and is highly regarded around here (I do not have a personal experience).

You may also contact Jon from JKI, but the shipping would take a few more days to Toronto I guess.

Did you consider used knife - maybe there are some KKF members in your area that would be selling a knife you could like.

Concernign the knifetoronto shop - I would check out their offerings from Sakai Takayuki and Misono - though I am not sure first hand about the prices. If your time is so short - do browse around here on those marks available - most have been discussed several times.

I have Masakage Koishi (stainless clad super blue steel) Ko-Bunka that I like, but I am not sure that the profile would work so well on a gyuto.

And one more idea - any chance to borrow a knife for somebody for a few days before you find the one you like.

Good luck with the interview!

I definitely second checking out Tosho since you're in Toronto and so are they. That way you see knives in person and get a hands-on feel for the knives... you never know, one might speak to you and your needs. I'm sure they'd be happy to advise you, you can ask any questions you might have, and at least handle a few different options before you make your decision. If all goes well you can walk out of the store with a knife you're happy with today.

Either way, good luck in finding your knife and with the interview!

- Steve

Konosuke HD2 is a great knife indeed. Splendid F&F, very good non reactive steel and sharpens pretty easy, goes through food in a whoosh. The only con in my opinion is food release. Food tends to stick quite a bit to the knife.

Besides Tosho and Knife, there is KnifeWear in Alberta. There shipment is quite fast and the selection is pretty good. Take a look there.
While there are many good stores in US, the shipping $35+ and customs taxes will raise the price quite significantly. And obviously the shipment time is considerably longer.

Having Tosho to go into is a huge plus for buying from them as having a knife in hand before buying is great, otherwise let's not forget jck and 7 dollar shipping

Welcome Stridout the knife site in Toronto also has sharpening classes & some quality knives better than your Shun. Did your Culinary school teach any knife sharpening on whetstones?

Sounds like your city has several good knife places to visit, learning to sharpen is very important. It speeds up your prep time & cuts are clean. Also your knife will be trained to your sharpening style so touch ups are easy. Having a dull knife is no fun & someone else sharpening your knife is a tossup as to what you get. There is a lot of support here for learning freehand, the best way to sharpen a kitchen knife & all you need is a stone to start.

+1 Konosuke HD. You can't go wrong. Tosho is about to get a bunch more in as well. I suggest the 240 at least, since they run short.

+1 Konosuke HD. You can't go wrong. Tosho is about to get a bunch more in as well. I suggest the 240 at least, since they run short.
If you opt for the Konosuke, you may even want to consider a 270 since, as I mentioned, they run short, and are incredibly light.

If you opt for the Konosuke, you may even want to consider a 270 since, as I mentioned, they run short, and are incredibly light.

Back