BEST Rosewood Burl - Natural Hardwood Blocks

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Burl Source

Weird Wood Pusher
Reaction score
I just finished posting these blocks of Rosewood Burl in our web store.
These rank right up there with some of the best Rosewood burl that I have seen. Very nice coloring and great burl figure from edge to edge. These were cut from a slab a friend had stashed. In all of my searching I have been unable to find any other Rosewood Burl this nice. There may be small open eyes, bark pockets or open pores as with any burl. If any fall within your handle area it is an easy fix with a drop or two of thin CA glue. With a piece like this it is worth the little bit of extra effort to make it look perfect. This is probably stating the obvious for the knife makers but since this is expensive wood I thought it should be mentioned.

These blocks are more expensive than most wood but cost less than low grade ivory.
Click on the photo if you would like to see what is available. Last batch of these went away within hours.

This is the last of it.
But.....I am going to try really hard to get some more.

Looks like there are still 5 blocks left (I'm surprised)
I will try to get more of this but won't know for a while if I can.
Keep your fingers crossed for me. Thanks everyone.

Just to warn others - this is one dangerous game. I played and ended up with 1 maple burl that is on its way to Ian Rogers and 4 more (2x rosewood, 1x walnut burl and 1x Thuya burl) on their way to me. That makes 3 burls more that I seem to need right now :angel2:

From now on I will have to buy knives with poor handles to put these lovely wood pieces in use :O

Thank you Mark for helping me with this (logistically a bit more complicated) purchase.

The ones you got will be fun to look at even if it is a while before they go on knives.
It used to be that it was only the knife makers who collected handle materials.
Now days it is not unusual for those who are having a knife made to have a good selection of handle material to choose from for their next knife.
...and then there are some like that crazy monkey who sometimes use pieces to bribe the knife makers.

Now days it is not unusual for those who are having a knife made to have a good selection of handle material to choose from for their next knife.

This is exactly what I do. I have knives on order coming up in the next year and even though makers have blocks of their own I like to have options! When I order a block I sometimes have a project in mind for it, but usually the blocks are too good of an opportunity to pass up. I figure all of the blocks are one of a kind and I never know when you'll be getting more of that type of wood (like the rosewood burl). So if a few blocks catch my eye I might as well get them for future projects.

Good to know I'm not the only one stashing them away :lol2:

- Steve

Back