What should I buy?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theidiot00001

Reaction score
Hi folks! First post here and I've been a bit out of the loop regarding current offerings from the many knife makers.

USA

KNIFE TYPE
What type of knife are you interested in (e.g., chef’s knife, slicer, boning knife, utility knife, bread knife, paring knife, cleaver)?
Gyuto

Are you right or left handed?
Right

Are you interested in a Western handle (e.g., classic Wusthof handle) or Japanese handle?
Either works.

What length of knife (blade) are you interested in (in inches or millimeters)?
Generally 240mm.

Do you require a stainless knife? (Yes or no)
No. I'd much prefer carbon blades.

What is your absolute maximum budget for your knife?
Since I'm looking for a workhorse knife, I'd say around 100 bucks.

KNIFE USE
Do you primarily intend to use this knife at home or a professional environment?
Professional.

What are the main tasks you primarily intend to use the knife for (e.g., slicing vegetables, chopping vegetables, mincing vegetables, slicing meats, cutting down poultry, breaking poultry bones, filleting fish, trimming meats, etc.)? (Please identify as many tasks as you would like.)
Everything minus anything dealing with bones.

What knife, if any, are you replacing?
My primary workhorse knife is an old Hiromoto 240mm HC. I really love this knife as it was my first Japanese knife and has never let me down in the 8 years I've used it. Unfortunately it's no longer made and finding another one is near impossible.

Do you have a particular grip that you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for the common types of grips.)
Pinch.

What cutting motions do you primarily use?
Push cut, rocking, chopping.

What improvements do you want from your current knife? If you are not replacing a knife, please identify as many characteristics identified below in parentheses that you would like this knife to have.)
Possibly fit and finish, but it's not a big issue.

Better aesthetics (e.g., a certain type of finish; layered/Damascus or other pattern of steel; different handle color/pattern/shape/wood; better scratch resistance; better stain resistance)?

Comfort (e.g., lighter/heavier knife; better handle material; better handle shape; rounded spine/choil of the knife; improved balance)?

Ease of Use (e.g., ability to use the knife right out of the box; smoother rock chopping, push cutting, or slicing motion; less wedging; better food release; less reactivity with food; easier to sharpen)?

Edge Retention (i.e., length of time you want the edge to last without sharpening)?

KNIFE MAINTENANCE
Do you use a bamboo, wood, rubber, or synthetic cutting board? (Yes or no.)
Yes, yes, yes, yes.

Do you sharpen your own knives? (Yes or no.)
Yes.

If not, are you interested in learning how to sharpen your knives? (Yes or no.)

Are you interested in purchasing sharpening products for your knives? (Yes or no.)
No, I have a full set of stones.

SPECIAL REQUESTS/COMMENTS
If someone actually has a Hiromoto 240mm HC they want to get rid of, I'm more than happy to take it off your hands.

Last edited:
Welcome to KKF!

Given your budget of less than $100, there are a limited number of choices.

Fujiwara FKH @ $82: http://www.japanesechefsknife.com/FKHSeries.html#FKH

Kanemasa E series @ $95: http://japan-blades.com/big-seller/1667.html

Or, you could keep your eyes on B/S/T and see if anything comes available.

Hmm choices are so limited nowadays. I remember there being a few more options a couple years back. Although a bit more expensive, the Carbonext knives seem interesting. Do you know how they compare to the Fujiwara and Kanemasa?

If you up the budget you could get the Hiromoto Aogami Super stainless clad knife. Carbon edge, wrapped in stainless, best of both worlds, and very close to what you like about the HC knife you already have...

Hmm choices are so limited nowadays. I remember there being a few more options a couple years back. Although a bit more expensive, the Carbonext knives seem interesting. Do you know how they compare to the Fujiwara and Kanemasa?

The semi-stainless steel in the CarboNEXT is much less reactive than that in the Fujiwara and Kanemasa. Fit and finish is a bit better, though the spine is just as sharp and needs to the eased.

All in all, a much better knife, unless you are dead set on having a patina, since the CarboNEXT will not develop one to any degree.

Back