S*#t happens

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mkriggen

Reaction score
So, the other day my dad decided that the appropriate knife for portioning out hot babyback ribs was my Asai AS nakiri with a hamaguri edge by Jon at JKI...sigh:sad0:

asai3_zps6e674925.jpg

asai2_zps1abc6444.jpg

asai1_zps7394b5b6.jpg

Sho ga nai,
Mikey

Noooo way, yeah doo doo happens but that still hurts:(

I'd be happy to fix it for you free of charge. It's not as bad as it looks.

that is a job well done:nice training in sharpening.

that is a job well done:nice training in sharpening.

That is what happens when people think that stuff that looks similar to a cleaver must be a cleaver.

When we have visitors that may eventually want to cut something in the kitchen I advise them shortly in advance. Helps al lot.

But do not worry - skilled sharpener can bring it back to near-new shape. Those chips are not that large.

What was his response when you said something?

Didn't say nothing, just thought about the time when I was a kid and decided to help him out by sharpening his wood chisels...on the bench grinder...both sides:angel2:

Be well,
Mikey

Didn't say nothing, just thought about the time when I was a kid and decided to help him out by sharpening his wood chisels...on the bench grinder...both sides:angel2:

Be well,
Mikey

This is sort of thing is what came to mind when I read the post. Payback of sorts. I will try to be mindful of it both now while my kids are young and in the future when I may have an opportunity to return some "favors." Sounds like you have a good attitude about the situation, as you probably do in many circumstances based on your posts on the forum. After all it is just a knife and the damage is repairable. sucks to have jon's sharpening work messed up though.

Hey Mikey I would run the entire edge on a 140 Atoma plate until half the chip height is gone. Then put on your new bevels, let future sharpening take care of the rest.

Still turning out those cherry Wa's?

This is why I NEVER let anyone touch my good knives. Not even the mediocre ones, come to think of it. It never ceases to amaze me what knife-ignorant people come up with to destroy a knife.

Nice job now just needs a bit of a polish along the blade and back to new or better.

Nice job now just needs a bit of a polish along the blade and back to new or better.

Naw, if I polish it then I'd have to etch it:rolleyes2:. Thought about it, decided I'd just use it instead:viking:

Be well,
Mikey

Looks great Mikey!
Now your dad could use it again :razz:

…did you restored it yourself (if so, how long did it take and what tools been involved) or asked someone?

…did you restored it yourself (if so, how long did it take and what tools been involved) or asked someone?

I originally contacted Jon about fixing it, but he was pretty backed up at the time, so I took Keith's advice and did it myself. Didn't take that long really. I used the diamond flattening plate I got from Jon (not sure of actual grit size) to reprofile the edge and grind in a new bevel. I then thinned it using Gesshin 400, 1200, and 4000 stones, then sharpened it using same stones.

Be well,
Mikey

Nice to see that in case of chipping there is still hope. Perfectly performed repair it is like new:doublethumbsup:

Latest posts

Back