Quantcast
Shigegusa still using natural stone? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Shigegusa still using natural stone?

Quote Originally Posted by panda View Post
    what a knife maker uses does not reflect on what end user should be using anyway. that said, i'm all about using only naturals, except for really coarse work, takes too long on nats.
    Agree! That's what i told- they should be more efficient( quicker), we can take our time to achieve the best.
    They forge the knife- we finish and sharpen it. If you have to sharpen 30 knives a day, you'll change for synthetics. Speed-result will be more important then the fine result. But for yourself .... Taking your time .... We use the expression- " sharpness OOTB"- sometimes it' even good- but normally you can do it sharper.
    And i do even a coarse work on Jnats- it' s quick as well. Yeh- Shapton proff Glass Stone is quicker, diamonds even more, but you don't loose so much materials with Jnats!

i do coarse on nat as well now that i have a good one, but still stick with a synthetic for thinning.

Quote Originally Posted by panda View Post
    i do coarse on nat as well now that i have a good one, but still stick with a synthetic for thinning.
    And this is great! Important: we do it with own hands, not machines, using our skills.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrey V View Post
    And this is great! Important: we do it with own hands, not machines, using our skills.
    It is actually the best way to hone said skills, I am still a complete beginner, but I am enjoying it
    Edit: at least for amateurs like me

Quote Originally Posted by apathetic View Post
    It is actually the best way to hone said skills, I am still a complete beginner, but I am enjoying it
    Edit: at least for amateurs like me
    You are so lucky! Being just at the beginning you discover the huge new world. I enjoy it every day, really, it's so fascinating..

Quote Originally Posted by Andrey V View Post
    You are so lucky! Being just at the beginning you discover the huge new world. I enjoy it every day, really, it's so fascinating..
    I am definitely enjoying it!
    My first natural stone was a hakka. After I tried it I was hooked
    I am now trying out coarser stones as well such as the binsui and enjoying it very much
    There is so much to try out