Shigegusa still using natural stone?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

glestain

Reaction score
I look at the 2014 video, is Shig still using natural stone?

I think he starts with synthetics and finishes with naturals. Maxim will know.

my impression is, might be wrong, he use natural stone at their sharpening station. If you look at it, there are a lot of natural stone appear from old video.

Not to speak for maxim here, but many sharpeners and knife makers in Japan use synthetic stones first and follow them with a natural finishing stone or two

And one more 'not to speak for Maksim' - but Maksim himself mentioned elsewhere that the the JNS6000 (and possibly one more of his synthetic stones) is used by Shigefusa . So yes - I think he does use also synthetic stones.

Hi using Naturals only for finishing and he have always done that :)
And yes he use Shapton Glass for all coarse work
JNS Aoto and JNS 6k

Like Jon said i dont know many that use Jnats for coarse work, not even sword polishers.

I look at the 2014 video, is Shig still using natural stone?

So which are the few knife makers in Japan you know of which use only Jnats?

it's because the synthetic stones are cheeper for a big work- and they do the job always in a clear consistent way. But the great result can be achieved only with Jnats. I know some sharpener- they like Jnats a lot, but they use something like Shapton Glass Stones, only because they have to do it quicker ( not better)- so the question is how to achieve the most acceptable result for a shortest period of time- Jnats are too expensive for it, and you need the "marriage" between the steel and the stone- with Shaptons etc not. So, i suppose, there is no need to look so much at the producers- they have to be efficient . We have more time- we can use Jnats on every stage, enjoying the process, achiving the best possible result on the edge and on the knife in general :) !

what a knife maker uses does not reflect on what end user should be using anyway. that said, i'm all about using only naturals, except for really coarse work, takes too long on nats.

what a knife maker uses does not reflect on what end user should be using anyway. that said, i'm all about using only naturals, except for really coarse work, takes too long on nats.

Agree! That's what i told- they should be more efficient( quicker), we can take our time to achieve the best.
They forge the knife- we finish and sharpen it. If you have to sharpen 30 knives a day, you'll change for synthetics. Speed-result will be more important then the fine result. But for yourself .... Taking your time .... We use the expression- " sharpness OOTB"- sometimes it' even good- but normally you can do it sharper.
And i do even a coarse work on Jnats- it' s quick as well. Yeh- Shapton proff Glass Stone is quicker, diamonds even more, but you don't loose so much materials with Jnats!

i do coarse on nat as well now that i have a good one, but still stick with a synthetic for thinning.

And this is great! Important: we do it with own hands, not machines, using our skills.:lol2:

And this is great! Important: we do it with own hands, not machines, using our skills.:lol2:

It is actually the best way to hone said skills, I am still a complete beginner, but I am enjoying it :)
Edit: at least for amateurs like me :)

It is actually the best way to hone said skills, I am still a complete beginner, but I am enjoying it :)
Edit: at least for amateurs like me :)

You are so lucky! Being just at the beginning you discover the huge new world. I enjoy it every day, really, it's so fascinating..

You are so lucky! Being just at the beginning you discover the huge new world. I enjoy it every day, really, it's so fascinating..

I am definitely enjoying it! :)
My first natural stone was a hakka. After I tried it I was hooked :D
I am now trying out coarser stones as well such as the binsui and enjoying it very much
There is so much to try out

Back