Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Bad servers great servers your stories

Bad servers great servers your stories

I know there are some great front of the house people who make the chefs smile at the end of a brutal day. Then there are awful servers who make the kitchen staff angry.

One of the better waiters I knew was always happy to be at work. Or he did a very good job showing he did not want to be at work. He always smiled, he always talked up the food, he never needed to give big spiel. His essence was so convincing. Even though the place he worked never pleased me foodwise, I always enjoyed his table service. Sadly he died of a spontaneous heart attack.

The worst server was responsible for serving a party of ten featuring my mother on her birthday. I don't think she should get preferential treatment. But she does deserve service. It was a bill of close to five hundred dollars. She only tipped 40 bucks because she was furious.

I don't think it is so much to ask to clear the plates in a timely fashion. I do think it is entirely rude and inconsiderate to put a clean plate on the table and place dirty silverware back on the table to be used for the next course. How was she supposed enjoy birthday cake without silverware?

Great servers.... Do you mean bartenders?

this is from a Yelp! review I did a couple of years ago, after experiencing notably good service:

Our waiter, Brent was truly excellent. He was that extremely rare waiter who is working so hard you can see the sweat, but just exudes calm causality. He has all the time in the world to chat with you...and to talk you into dessert...but the moment your attention moves to talking to your dining partner he seems to dissolve into the background until you need something. It wasn't formal service by any stretch, but the intuition and work ethic were impressive. In fact, we had assumed he was the owner until he said otherwise.
    Remember: You're a unique individual...just like everybody else.

Back in the day I worked for a prime rib chain. I opened a new location with several trainers from other stores. One was Larry. Great all around server but what was most impressive was that he could carry a twelve top of prime rib in various sizes on one arm. (He had two arms but you need to serve the stuff to.)

I have a theory that college towns usually suffer from a larger percentage of bad service as opposed to other cities. Employees approaching an industry that know they will exit in just a couple years....generally speaking they arent as committed.

Quote Originally Posted by labor of love View Post
    I have a theory that college towns usually suffer from a larger percentage of bad service as opposed to other cities. Employees approaching an industry that know they will exit in just a couple years....generally speaking they arent as committed.
    That could be true, but some college students, knowing that it's not a career path, also do a better job than people with no options that are destined to be wait staff forever. They use it to polish their interpersonal & time management skills and know that it's a finite situation. Also depends on the facility; coffee shop vs. fine dining, high volume/low tip % vs. low volume/high tip %, etc.

Money also has a lot to do with the quality of wait staff. Pay your staff just a bit more than your competitors and quality jumps way up. In my experience anyway.
    Though I could not caution all I still might warn a few; Don't raise your hand to raise no flag atop no ship of fools. - Robert Hunter

On a side note, the consistently best overall service I've ever experienced is here, where 'no tipping' is the norm.
    Though I could not caution all I still might warn a few; Don't raise your hand to raise no flag atop no ship of fools. - Robert Hunter

One experience really impressed me positively years ago. Well, it should, because it was at a Michelin 3-star restaurant in the Alsace ('Auberge de l'ill', Haeberlin). There were 4 or 5 waiters floating around us all the time which normally makes me nervous, but they were just excellent: A few times during the meal I realized that the table had been cleared and cleaned and I had not even noticed it because they were so unobtrusive. But somebody was there immediately if you looked up with a questionmark in your face (figuratively...). I felt perfectly taken care of without being disturbed in my conversations. Most places I can afford to go to these days too often have clueless servers who still think they are somehow important enough to get my attention whenever they feel like it...

Stefan

I hate all of my servers with a passion. Not them personally, just their work ethic, lack of respect to the customers, cell phone usage, text messaging, not bussing tables, leaving dirty tables for hours, not knowing basic menu items even though they have been working there for years. getting drunk every single day. They suck. I try to train them and mentor them but I am hamstrung by the fact that the GM does the same crap and lets them get away with it because, she is drinking with them. Did I mention I hate them? I mean really hate them. our biggest issues on reviews and yelp is the complete lack of customer service and the few times we have good reviews about service, its usually about a new server who will be gone in a week or two because they don't fit in with the lazy lifestyle.
    I haven't lived the life I wanted, just the lives I needed too at the time.

I hear you, Son. But in NYC, there are no waiters/waitresses. They're all actors, models, singers, performance artists, yadda, yadda, yadda. Except for the real pros.
    I used to routinely find wait staff's (usually contract labor) cell phones stashed in the kitchen. We had a special microwave oven just for those.