Quantcast
OMG disgusted! - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: OMG disgusted!

get the F outta there

Quote Originally Posted by Umberto View Post

Then we serve old crappy calamari...I ran out of the stuff I had cut up and prepared, we served the old crap which was nothing short of what you'd expect from a chain restaurant...I told the line cook and chef that we ran out of the good stuff. They said okay just use the old stuff.
    By "old stuff" do you mean Calamari that had turned? You can take away your chef's choice of serving bad food by throwing it out instead of holding on to it. Im just confused why there would be product on hand that was unsuitable to serve. Good luck with your quest for a new gig. I've definitely quit jobs over sanitary/unethical practices, life is too short to put up with apathetic co workers.

Quote Originally Posted by labor of love View Post
    Good luck with your quest for a new gig. I've definitely quit jobs over sanitary/unethical practices, life is too short to put up with apathetic co workers.
    I agree with this. Even more so if it's a situation with bad management/ownership and the kitchen is getting thrown under the bus daily.

There is always room for improvement in a kitchen but if you're just starting out there and things aren't quite up to snuff... that's an uphill battle. Your chefs and co-workers probably won't be too keen on you lecturing them on what the "right" thing is to do.

I just finished up at a restaurant that turned very sour about 4 months after I started. The Chef who hired me quit suddenly, we couldn't find or hold on to cooks, and the management was horrible. I stuck in there for over a year because that was what I had originally committed to and I felt like my resume needed that stability. If I had to do it over again, I probably would have just jumped ship when the writing was on the wall. It made me extremely unhappy, I didn't grow as a cook as much as I wanted to, and by the time I left, I felt like a beat dog.

I'm happy I ended things on a decent note and that I didn't start murdering people in the middle of service, but yeah... life is way too short for that nonsense. If you're young, unattached, and motivated there is no reason to slave away thanklessly in a situation that is neither personally nor professionally rewarding. Maybe moving to a city with better opportunities might be the right thing for you.

Get the hell out of there.Even if the chef has an impressive resume if food like that is getting served under his supervision he has lost his passion somewhere along the line.The longer you stay the more likely the same will happen to you and you will pick up bad habbits that will make you look like a dirty unprofessional chef in you next gig.
    Life is too short for that kinda crap

Quote Originally Posted by labor of love View Post
    By "old stuff" do you mean Calamari that had turned? You can take away your chef's choice of serving bad food by throwing it out instead of holding on to it. Im just confused why there would be product on hand that was unsuitable to serve. Good luck with your quest for a new gig. I've definitely quit jobs over sanitary/unethical practices, life is too short to put up with apathetic co workers.
    I agree if it was unservable why was it not thrown away already? How many days old was it? Did they ask if you had anything else when you said you ran out (If they did, what did you say?) ?

This happened on a friday or saturday night I'm guessing from your post date. You are pretty green in the industry from what I have gotten from your posts. Sometimes **** happens (like a new cook not having enough prep on a busy weekend night). Sometimes you have to really replay events in your head to find the real 'learning moment' in the situation.

Is this the new awesome gastropub you started working at after you didnt get that sous gig?

No response, are you avoiding this subject now?

Yes it happened on a saturday.The gastropub is a work in progress. I'm going to try to sweeten the chef up by sharpening his knives...If they are halfway decent I'll scrape some mud off the aoto. For me it's time to move on but I can't just up and quit, I don't have anywhere to go. I'm crossing my fingers this chef will appreciate his sharp knives and offer me 1 or two days a week it's a 45 minute commute...but it's not about the money, it's about going into finer foods and being taught more.

Its a gastropub if you want to do finer foods go work in Michelin star places? Or is this not possible at the moment. I guess they wouldent pay that much.

since we are on the subject I guess this is kind on subject....

I have a lot of experience, but I just can't find my home at the moment, and it really sucks when you think you have found it but then out of nowhere your let go? with no explanation, whatever, It is all how you get up when you fall right? Have other people experienced this as well? moving around a lot and working in a lot of different restaurants? is this industry standard or is it just me?

I do that aswell once I start to get frustrated with the small things I dont agree with and cant change I move on. Usally 1-2 years