Learning Knife Forging in Japan

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ajack17

Reaction score
*apologies if this is not an appropriate subforum to post this, I was not quite sure where to post.*

Hey all, I am headed to Japan in about 6 months. I have had an interest in Japanese Knives for some time now and was interested in learning about knifemaking directly from the source.

Does anyone know anything about visiting manufacturers? Are they generally willing to welcome outsiders and share their expertise, or is that frowned upon? I am not new to knife use, cooking, etc. but forging and knife making is still completely foreign to me.

If anyone has any insights, experiences, recommendations, etc it would be greatly appreciated. I would love to know any specific recommendations of places to visit in Japan as well.

Jon Broida goes to Japan every year to hone his skills (so to speak); he should be able to hook you up with some people.

Jon Broida goes to Japan every year to hone his skills (so to speak); he should be able to hook you up with some people.

I wonder if Jon and Maxim only have these opportunities though because of the relationships that they have cultivated with these vendors over the years? In a way, extending a special courtesy and a chance to catch up and discuss future business. I wouldn't think they're generally equipped to handle visitors, and they might not have the time to sit down with everyone that would want to learn from them. I may be wrong...

Hopefully something comes of this and things work out for you! After all, you never know unless you ask :)

- Steve

yeah.... its not something that one can normally just walk in and do, nor are they set up for that kind of thing. People ask me all of the time, but most of the makers ask us not to share any information about them, so its not something we can help with. Sorry.

:(. One of the highlights I was planning on when I eventually make it to japan would be looking at how knives are made and maybe pick up a few direct from makers. Not sure if possible.

For those of you who developed connections over the years, how did you get started in the first place?

Minimal; I have a friend who is currently giving me lessons and am learning the language at a university during this upcoming semester. If I am being optimistic, in 6 months, enough to get me by.

I went on Murray Carter's tour in October last year. Many of the knife makers we met were very friendly and showed us tremendous hospitality, but I am sure it was only because we were with Murray. Even with another guide who spoke fluently, I doubt we would have been welcome at any of the factories we visited. There are a couple westerners who work in the knife biz over there so it might be worth trying to track one down ask if they can help you.

I think you must first impress them with your superior Japanese language first. Japanese will admire foreigners who can speak their language.

I agree that language ability is pretty valuable for doing anything meaningful. Good luck.

Back