Can use some advice on a Chosera 10k stone

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

99Limited

Founding Member
Reaction score
I bought a used Chosera 10k stone that is basically in like new condition. When I cleaned it up I found a small hairline crack on the side. When I placed the stone under water the surface revealed a lot of crazing although when dry it appears solid and smooth.

My question is, would it be alright to wrap it on the sides and bottom with drywall mesh joint tape and apply a couple of coats of poly. I've read where some synthetic stones have fallen apart so I thought this could help hold it together, if it's even necessary. The alternative is to send it back although for the price I paid I'd like to keep it.

My 10K Chosera has small hairline cracks all over. But still works like a charm and shows no signs of falling apart.

I mounted my set of chosera stones on wood that I thought was stable......Well they all fractured into 5 pieces.I wish I would have mounted the on some granite.

I haven't mounted mine yet but it has hairlines and crazing EVERYWHERE. I hope I don't end up with a set of $200 fingerstones.

I haven't mounted mine yet but it has hairlines and crazing EVERYWHERE. I hope I don't end up with a set of $200 fingerstones.

if you use the right wood you will be fine, I have 5kSS and many naturals mounted on cedar bases. Cedar does not get affected by water, it is used for outdoor decks etc. I just applied 2 layers of shellac to the bases and they work great.

A thick corian piece would work best as its more stable than wood, impervious to water or much of anything else, and less likely to shatter if dropped than tile or glass. If you're near a home depot, lowes or some such, they can be found at nearly no cost to you. I'd also opt for the gorilla glue, poly glues tend to work well. BTW, all wood, including stabilized wood will absorb water/moisture. I tested pieces from three different stabilizers and they all absorbed some moisture though only one moved a significant amount.

(The stabilized wood was submerged for a week in room temperature water. It was weighed prior to and after to the nearest 10th of a gram. This was an extreme circumstances type test and I'm convinced that under normal usage, none of the pieces would have absorbed the amounts that they did while submerged.)

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I'll go to HD and see what I can find. The corian idea reminded me that there are plenty of replacement countertop shops around where I live. Should be plenty of scraps.

Back