Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wood for a stone base

Wood for a stone base

Hello,

I am trying to locate a one or 2 pieces of wood (teak or similar) that I would like to use to mount (glue) sharpening stones to. I am located in Germany and have hard time to find some suitable wood in usable size.

I would appreciate any advice or help.

thank you.

teak works well... you can also avoid wood in favor of granite or quartz countertop materials

People that make teak floors usually have boards in suitable widths. It's not at all expensive if you can manage to find/buy single boards. Maybe ebay could help? Totally waterproof if oiled!

Thanks - I am aware which materials to look for, I have just troubles finding them locally or online - in particular in this very small size.

Quote Originally Posted by Matus View Post
    Thanks - I am aware which materials to look for, I have just troubles finding them locally or online - in particular in this very small size.
    How about Dictum? They got plenty of wood

Quote Originally Posted by icanhaschzbrgr View Post
    How about Dictum? They got plenty of wood
    I already checked - they do have some nice wood, but the only wood that is not way too thick (like 35mm or more) is 8mm thick ebony or 8.5mm thick rosewood. Would that do the job?

I believe they can cut it for you, if you ask them to. Ebony or rosewood for stone base? Hm… isn't it too much?
    I would grab http://www.mehr-als-werkzeug.de/prod...wood-Board.htm and trim it to fit your stone

i've always had luck going to a granite/marble counter top store and asking for their scraps (sink cutouts)

Quote Originally Posted by icanhaschzbrgr View Post
    I believe they can cut it for you, if you ask them to. Ebony or rosewood for stone base? Hm… isn't it too much?
    I would grab http://www.mehr-als-werkzeug.de/prod...wood-Board.htm and trim it to fit your stone
    Would lime tree wood be OK for the base?

Although I would prefer wood for weight reasons, what would be reasonable thickness of the stone if I would go with a marble or granite?

Cedar or black locust.

"All beauty that has no foundation in use, soon grows distasteful and needs continuous replacement with something new." The Shakers' saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com