Quantcast
Wood for a stone base - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wood for a stone base

thank you.

Should I give the wooden board (one I get one) some particular treatment before (or after) the stone will be glued to it?

Will you be mounting stones that require soaking?

I have 2 stones that came mounted on wood bases and the bottom of the base on both is no longer flat so the stones can wobble. I would give some thought to something a little more stable unless you specifically want wood. I have some stones that are kept in water that are mounted on dibond, which is polyethylene sandwiched between sheets of aluminum. I used it because I got it for free but I know others who have used with success plexiglas/lucite/lexan or a repurposed old plastic cutting board for stones that see a fair amount of water. those materials may be easier to cut to size compared to granite, marble, corian, etc.

No, it is meant for splash&go stones, but those are some very valid points. I will look at wider spectrum of materials. thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Matus View Post
    No, it is meant for splash&go stones, but those are some very valid points. I will look at wider spectrum of materials. thanks.
    Why don't you use a sheet of Plexiglas/ceramic tile and silicone?

Just an update - I have managed to get in local gardening/tool/supply shop (Baywa) a discarded sample of a high-end kitchen counter material (maybe it is meant for the wall as it is only ca 1 cm thick) - it is some sort of composite heavy material with actually cool color. I got it for free and the guys there were so nice that it cut-to-size it for me - something I would not be able to do. So now I have one large, one medium and one small stone base. I am just ordering some lacquer and washi paper right now.

I'll let you know whether the Gesshin 6000 will survive the mounting process