Wood for a stone base

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matus

Staff member
Global Moderators
KKF Supporting Craftsman
KKF Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I am trying to locate a one or 2 pieces of wood (teak or similar) that I would like to use to mount (glue) sharpening stones to. I am located in Germany and have hard time to find some suitable wood in usable size.

I would appreciate any advice or help.

thank you.

teak works well... you can also avoid wood in favor of granite or quartz countertop materials

People that make teak floors usually have boards in suitable widths. It's not at all expensive if you can manage to find/buy single boards. Maybe ebay could help? Totally waterproof if oiled!

Thanks - I am aware which materials to look for, I have just troubles finding them locally or online - in particular in this very small size.

i've always had luck going to a granite/marble counter top store and asking for their scraps (sink cutouts)

thank you.

Should I give the wooden board (one I get one) some particular treatment before (or after) the stone will be glued to it?

Will you be mounting stones that require soaking?

I have 2 stones that came mounted on wood bases and the bottom of the base on both is no longer flat so the stones can wobble. I would give some thought to something a little more stable unless you specifically want wood. I have some stones that are kept in water that are mounted on dibond, which is polyethylene sandwiched between sheets of aluminum. I used it because I got it for free but I know others who have used with success plexiglas/lucite/lexan or a repurposed old plastic cutting board for stones that see a fair amount of water. those materials may be easier to cut to size compared to granite, marble, corian, etc.

No, it is meant for splash&go stones, but those are some very valid points. I will look at wider spectrum of materials. thanks.

No, it is meant for splash&go stones, but those are some very valid points. I will look at wider spectrum of materials. thanks.

Why don't you use a sheet of Plexiglas/ceramic tile and silicone?

Just an update - I have managed to get in local gardening/tool/supply shop (Baywa) a discarded sample of a high-end kitchen counter material (maybe it is meant for the wall as it is only ca 1 cm thick) - it is some sort of composite heavy material with actually cool color. I got it for free and the guys there were so nice that it cut-to-size it for me - something I would not be able to do. So now I have one large, one medium and one small stone base. I am just ordering some lacquer and washi paper right now.

I'll let you know whether the Gesshin 6000 will survive the mounting process :)

Back