What kind of knife for supreme (supreming??) oranges/grapefruit?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cilucia

Reaction score
What would you use to supreme citrus?

Going to do it tonight with a paring knife, probably, but would love an excuse to buy a nice j-knife :knife:

I do it with 240mm gyuto and manage to not waste too much food in the process.

I've used a simple Fujiwara FKH carbon sujihiki for it. It contributed highly to its patina, and getting the carbon steel a bit less reactive,

I would use a 150mm petty but have done it with my 240 gyuto's if Im feeling lazy lol. Dosen't really matter what you use as long as its sharp :biggrin:

I don't do it often but knife of choice is 150 stainless petty when I do.

Theory has a vid on here somewhere where he slays several. I don't remember the knife used but it looks like he's done it before...

I find a stainless 165mm honesuki is boss for it takes the skin off quick and its nice with that little bit of heal height.

Parer, petty, or sujihiki. Depending on the size of the fruit. I like a slightly longer knife than the fruit. Make a cut towards the core of the fruit along the segment line. Then pull up the other side of the Supreme towards me. Perfect looking supreme every time.

Whatever bro.

Hankotsu.

[video=youtube;jgkM_RrIGLM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jgkM_RrIGLM[/video]

I've seen that video and hankotsu somewhere before....

150 petty if one is handy; DT ITK preferred (the thinnest 150 I have). But whatever 240 gyuto is on the board usually gets the call.

Yup...but, thinking about selling it and getting a single-bevel honesuki....have to find that old thread, someone had dibs on it if I decided to sell.

You still have it?

The oranges I ended up using yesterday had really small segments and disproportionately large seeds (!!). I used my 210mm gyuto, but wasn't too happy with the process. I have small hands (my ring finger size is 3.75, if that puts it in perspective), so it felt unwieldy to me with the small orange and big (relatively) knife. I'll look into a 150mm petty, honesuki and sujikikis. Thanks for all the recs :)

Ok, don't kick me out or anything, but I picked this up at Whole Foods this morning
DSCF9568.JPG

It's the Kyocera Utility knife (11cm). I used it to peel mangoes and oranges for my smoothie this morning. I am really, really pleased with its performance. I didn't realize *how* dull my 3 year old Kyocera paring knife had gotten until I compared the two. I will probably use this for my in-a-rush morning fruit needs, since I don't need to worry about wiping the blade dry afterwards.

K, ready to be exiled now.

I use my 150mm Masakage Shimo petty for stuff like this.

I like my 270 DT ITK for this task. I know seems large for the task, but I like using the heel and the bigger the better. My carter funayuki is my second favorite.

karring

I like to use a Suisin IH 210. I'll never go back to trying to peeling and segmenting with a petty or paring after trying this knife. It's not too long and not too tall and makes quick work of small and large citrus. I use mostly the front 2/3s of the blade for the peeling and the heel for popping out segments. Works like a charm.

I use all types of knives for this over the years, even my nakiri, but my 150mm Petty is probably my favorite for the task.

Back