Quantcast
Show me your knife storage!
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Show me your knife storage!

Show me your knife storage!

(Sorry if this has a thread somewhere else, I failed to locate it with my search terms)

I'd love to see your knife storage, whether it be magnetic knife strips, blocks (are these a faux pas?), drawer organizers, individual sheaths/sayas, so on and so forth.

A bit outdated magnetic knife holder photo of mine - in fact only 2(!) knives are still there. The one with green handle (pretty much our worse knife, but my wife likes is) and the smallest one - Yoshikane SKD petty from Maksim. Even that 270mm Yoshikane SLD damascus Suji (also from Maksim) on the very right is gone too - I miss that knife on occasion. It is a rare bird since all available today seem to have different grind.

The magnetic holder itself was my DIY project - that why it looks the way it does But it works perfectly

Name:  ImageUploadedByKitchen Knife Forum1403215746.883967.jpg
Views: 734
Size:  14.6 KB
    Hope this attachment works from phone... Made a l frame to mount mag blocks in corner

I'm in the process of making a wooden drawer insert. I don't have a workshop at my current address so I'm only working on it when I visit my parents.

I'm part way through making a plywood router jig with slightly oversized cut outs for each knife (with saya). When the jig is done I'll clamp it over some maple and route out the cut out areas.

I've not seen this done, but I'll have a look for a photo of the type of thing I'm aiming for.

Quote Originally Posted by Matus View Post
    A bit outdated magnetic knife holder photo of mine - in fact only 2(!) knives are still there. The one with green handle (pretty much our worse knife, but my wife likes is) and the smallest one - Yoshikane SKD petty from Maksim. Even that 270mm Yoshikane SLD damascus Suji (also from Maksim) on the very right is gone too - I miss that knife on occasion. It is a rare bird since all available today seem to have different grind.

The magnetic holder itself was my DIY project - that why it looks the way it does But it works perfectly

That looks great!! You should take an updated picture

Quote Originally Posted by jimbob View Post
    Name:  ImageUploadedByKitchen Knife Forum1403215746.883967.jpg
Views: 734
Size:  14.6 KB
    Hope this attachment works from phone... Made a l frame to mount mag blocks in corner
    That looks epic!! Love that!

Quote Originally Posted by MAS4T0 View Post
    I'm in the process of making a wooden drawer insert. I don't have a workshop at my current address so I'm only working on it when I visit my parents.

I'm part way through making a plywood router jig with slightly oversized cut outs for each knife (with saya). When the jig is done I'll clamp it over some maple and route out the cut out areas.

I've not seen this done, but I'll have a look for a photo of the type of thing I'm aiming for.
    That sounds super functional (sized to fit with sayas) and pretty! Are you making the cutouts uniform, or fully customized to your current stash (not sure if you guys call them "stashes" around here, but YKWIM, )

Quote Originally Posted by cilucia View Post
    That sounds super functional (sized to fit with sayas) and pretty! Are you making the cutouts uniform, or fully customized to your current stash (not sure if you guys call them "stashes" around here, but YKWIM, )
    I'm making the cut-outs for specific knives. I've only got a few of the cut-outs done so far as I don't want to add them unless I know that I'm going to keep the knife for a long time.

It's easy to do so long as you're got a jig/hack saw and a router.

I've found a photo of the kind of thing I'm going for, basically this but with saya:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_tfGC7tOlrd...wer-insert.jpg

(Sorry if this has a thread somewhere else, I failed to locate it with my search terms)

I'd love to see your knife storage, whether it be magnetic knife strips, blocks (are these a faux pas?), drawer organizers, individual sheaths/sayas, so on and so forth.
    Don't have a pic handy - ut have a long channel cut in my marble at the back of the counter where I had the cabinet maker leave a gap. Knives drop in and the channel gets has two sections one thin, one slightly wider and a final space for my Fdick steel.

Gonna make mine this weekend.

Got 20 of these I'm gonna sink into some wood. They're crazy strong.
    http://www.amazon.com/Neodymium-Magn...dymium+magnets

That looks great!! You should take an updated picture
    I will, but I first need to wait for some knives to arrive, be tested, etc ..

Quote Originally Posted by MAS4T0 View Post
    I'm making the cut-outs for specific knives. I've only got a few of the cut-outs done so far as I don't want to add them unless I know that I'm going to keep the knife for a long time.

It's easy to do so long as you're got a jig/hack saw and a router.

I've found a photo of the kind of thing I'm going for, basically this but with saya:

HOMG that's a gorgeous idea!!